Thread: Bullet puller for 50 caliber...

Default Bullet puller for 50 caliber...

I have the RCBS inertia type (hammer) puller and I can pull 50 caliber bullets with it, but I have to disassemble it and hand-feed the 3-piece collet type chuck over the case then reassemble and whack away. The specs say the puller is good for up to .45 caliber so I guess I shouldn't complain. The specs on the other brands' inertia type bullet pullers are the same ...45 caliber max.

What about the collet type pullers that you can mount on your press? RCBS and others have collets for 50 caliber but all brands say "for jacketed bullets only". What if I don't care if a lead bullet is damaged or not? I'll just melt it down later anyway ...will these pullers work for non-jacketed lead bullets if I don't care about damage to the bullet? I'd like to come up with a bullet pulling solution for the case when I have made a reloading mistake ...I'm careful and haven't made a mistake yet, but it's good to be prepared.

Thanks,
    Brian

Default Try THIS

If you want to pull bullets and don't mind if they are damaged.
    Put your shell holder in your reloading press (NO die), run the bullet up through where the die threads where the die screws in, just like seating or sizing a case. Then grab the bullet with a pair of 10" pliers or side cutters and pull down on the handle the bullet should be pulled from the case. easily, but the pliers will damage the bullet.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Hmmm ...I'll try that. I guess there isn't any risk to the shell holder or case anyway. Gently gently ...

Brian

Here ya go:

Raise shell up through die bushing, put this on, squeeze, lower ram. It will not mark up even cast bullets. Made from 4" wide, 1/2" thick aluminum bar. Cost me less than $10.00 if I remember correctly, and made it back in 1996.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

The big jagged hole is just for flex and the little hole is the caliber to match the bullet being pulled, yes? Interesting ...I'll have to try that too.

Brian

Yup, drilled 1/2" hole for the bullet, then used a jigsaw to adjust the width of the groove to give the best grip.

I drilled many 1/2" holes to make the large jagged one, holesaws don't work well in thick aluminum.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...