Thread: Transportation to Kuiu?

Default Transportation to Kuiu?

I'd like to hunt the west coast of Kuiu in the spring of 2009. We'd like to tent camp for 5 to 7 days.
    Is it best to be thinking of air transport to the west coast rather than boat? If that's the case, then I need to find an air transporter, zodiac, and other equipment rental.
    Any thoughts on which town to fly out of and who might rent gear such as zodiacs, camp stoves, etc.?

If there are any good boat opportunities, I'd love to hear about them also but looking at maps it seems that the west coast is quite a flog for a boat taxi service.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Look up Cornel Bean Jr in Kake for a boat taxi. Great guy. Not sure about gear rental though

If you fly, Petersburg would probably be the cheapest, and I'd bet you could get all the gear you need there.

good luck.

Depending on specific dates, a lot of the Petersburg and Juneau guys hunt or transport out there. I've got 3 groups headed that way this May ('08), and again twice in August.

Pull the list of transporters registered in Petersburg, Kake, Wrangell and maybe Ketchikan and Juneau. Start talking to them to get a good idea of what's up and what's available.

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

You can check for Transporters on this page ....

http://www.dced.state.ak.us/occ/OccSearch/main.cfm

enter GUI for the board and then put in the name of the town .... T is a Transporter: R is a Registered Guide and A is an Asst. Guide .... if the type is in red they do not have a current license and if it is black they are good to go ....

Maybe I don't understand the terminology as well as I should...

Do transporters include those that will take us to the island and drop us off for a week and then get us at the end? I was thinking of transporters as boats that I would stay on for the week, for example.

Thanks for the info.

Default hunter transport

The airline boys are exempt from the Transporter law ... basically. as long as the airline doesn't charge a hunter rate more than their normal rate or advertise 'hunting'.

But to be Transported by a vessel that vessel must have a Transporters license. Transporting is from point A to point B (of a hunter and or their game) and from point B back to Point A.

All gear rentals must take place in town (unless it is a Guide doing the renting). A Transporter cannot provide gear or equipment in the 'field'.

Providing housing in the 'field' is another mater.

If you have any questions you can always talk to the local ADF&G biologist or the F&W Troopers in the area you will be hunting out of.

Quote Originally Posted by muskeg View Post
    The airline boys are exempt from the Transporter law ... basically. as long as the airline doesn't charge a hunter rate more than their normal rate or advertise 'hunting'.

But to be Transported by a vessel that vessel must have a Transporters license. Transporting is from point A to point B (of a hunter and or their game) and from point B back to Point A.

All gear rentals must take place in town (unless it is a Guide doing the renting). A Transporter cannot provide gear or equipment in the 'field'.

Providing housing in the 'field' is another mater.

If you have any questions you can always talk to the local ADF&G biologist or the F&W Troopers in the area you will be hunting out of.
    Why is providing housing in the field another matter? If the boat has permanent living quarters, the State doesn't have a problem with a transporter parking the boat near where you beach and using that as your overnight accommodations. I think you'll find this is what most charters do for transport services. Note that the transporter can't/won't do anything that "assists" the hunter or could be constituted as guiding.

For the do-it-yourself hunter who doesn't want to sleep in a tent or hasn't rented an FS cabin, a charter-boat based hunt is a pretty great idea. You can buy/rent all of your gear in Petersburg or Juneau, load it on the boat, and you're off. If you did want to camp and not stay on the boat, there are many drop-off services too.

Personally, I prefer to use boats instead of planes for my hunting... that way, if everyone in the party gets a record size bear, moose, limit of deer, etc. you probably don't have to worry about excess weight or additional trips as you might with a plane.

-Case
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by CanCanCase View Post
    Why is providing housing in the field another matter?
    -Case
    It's another matter because I was just discussing transporting (to and from) not in field accommodation's.

I'm understanding better...

All we want is transportation to and from Kuiu. We'd like to tent camp on shore.

I have no doubt that a week on board a boat would be a darn good time, but we'll save that for another trip.

Go with the link above to begin locating your transporter. Google or contact them directly to see what they've got to offer. Compare that with the cost of charter air service, and make your decision.

Just offhand, I checked the search form with the state, and the selection of registered transporters in Juneau, Kake, Petersburg and Wrangell is very limited. You might also look for guides and/or outfitters who can also help you get there. Of all the transporters currently registered in the area, I can't think of anything negative to say about any of them. All are great services that specialize in their own little niche.

-Case
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I think if you get a transport out of Juneau you might as well pay a guide to take you . The cost would be close I bet. If I were to hunt Kuiu I would take the ferry to Kake rent a place and a skiff and hunt rocky pass using one of the new hand held GPS 's. the skiff is the key thing,without a good skiff your odds of getting a nice bear go way down.rocky pass all the way to devils elbow is protected water. If you go to Tebenkoof or anywhere past Security you my have to deal with Chatham which can be unpleasant at times. If you really want to camp pick a spot up the strait not on a big tide flat because you won't be able to get in and out except at high tides and hunt from there.
    James Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by bear guide View Post
    I think if you get a transport out of Juneau you might as well pay a guide to take you . The cost would be close I bet....
    Agreed. I guess what I hadn't clarified well enough was that if it were timed right, a guy might find that a transporter from Juneau was already in the Petersburg or Kake area. I'm always happy when I can "stack" more than one trip at a time... I don't want to advertise too blatantly, but it never hurts to ask... I'm sure if they were already on a trip, you could find great "convenience" or "re-location" rates offered.

-Case
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thank you all for the info.

Is the east side of Kuiu remote enough country that we'll see little to no other people while there?

If that's the case, I have no problem with being on the east side.

Money is an issue, but not so much as to having to compromise a trip. If I'm going to make the trip I'd just as soon do it right.....

Another thought...What about air transport out of Sitka? Does that make sense?

Thanks again!
    Last edited by RockinB; 03-22-2008 at 06:42. Reason: Add a question

Kuiu is hunted pretty hard these days not sure you will have any of the island for yourself.West side has less hunting pressure but still several guides from Sitka will be there. Harris air out of Sitka flies to Kake two days a week for $150 one way. thats on a piper twin with instruments.Check out Sitka .com for more information . you might find a better price out of Juneau , not as familiar with the capitol, but has lots of air service.
    James Phillips

There are air charters out of Petersburg and Wrangell. Alaska Air flies into both towns.

Much closer than Juneau or Sitka.

Chartering a floatplane is about the same or less than what a Transporter charges .... at least that has been my experience. You just can't take the amount of gear on a plane. A Beaver payload is about 1000 lbs counting your body weight. 3 hunters w/ gear is a load. I'm not sure if there is a Beaver in Wrangell but there should be in Petersburg. You can make 2 loads with a 185 or 207 ... faster than a Beaver put less payload and less per hour rate.

Default sitka to kuiu

I guess the reason I mentioned Harris air out of Sitka is the price to Kake, you won't find a float plane price that good .If you look at distances Sitka is very comparible to Wrangell and Petersburg is forty miles closer. I was thinking this would be your best deal Check them out and see .
    Jim Phillips

Default then what

I also have been looking at KUIU but can't find transporter or boat rentals in Kake to get over to KUIU. Any leads?