Thread: Fiction or fact Alexander closed for three years

Kenai pen, in summer. Matsu vally in winter

Default Fiction or fact Alexander closed for three years

I herd from a reliable sorce that they are closing the Alexander river for king fishing for three years. Dose anyone know if it is fact or fiction.....

Default fact

It is a fact. The returns to Alexander Creek are now too poor to sustain any fishing. However, the Board of Fish decided that Northern District setnet (the nets at the mouths of Susitna, Theodore, Lewis, etc.) arent' catching enough kings yet, so they added 1 or 2 fishing periods to their season. (they currently have 3. In 2005 they were given the 3rd period- they had 2 periods prior to 2005. This will give them 5 periods this year, 4 periods the next two). In 4 years, the BOF has doubled the commercial time in the Northern District, but has closed Alexander Creek, and will probably leave the Deshka at 1 king a day, no bait, closed at night. Funny that sport fishermen have a regulatory priority for king salmon, but our seasons get closed while the lower priority users get doubled....

Kenai pen, in summer. Matsu vally in winter

Thanks for the update. i wonder if they have anything in mind for thr lake creek area.

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    It is a fact. The returns to Alexander Creek are now too poor to sustain any fishing. However, the Board of Fish decided that Northern District setnet (the nets at the mouths of Susitna, Theodore, Lewis, etc.) arent' catching enough kings yet, so they added 1 or 2 fishing periods to their season. (they currently have 3. In 2005 they were given the 3rd period- they had 2 periods prior to 2005. This will give them 5 periods this year, 4 periods the next two). In 4 years, the BOF has doubled the commercial time in the Northern District, but has closed Alexander Creek, and will probably leave the Deshka at 1 king a day, no bait, closed at night. Funny that sport fishermen have a regulatory priority for king salmon, but our seasons get closed while the lower priority users get doubled....
    Funny I wouldn't call it and I know you didn't mean it that way. It is more like what comes out of the back end or a bull........and it just isn't right. But, who said anything about politics, and that is what this is make no mistake, having anything to do with right in the last 20 plus years.