Thread: Single or double man cat.

Default Single or double man cat.

I've been thinking about getting either a single, or a double man cataraft, and was wondering what brands and maybe models reccomend. I wouldn't be getting anything under 10 feet for a single, but thats all I really have in mind right now. Also, I'm not too experienced in rafting, so what are a few rivers to start out on with the raft? Thanks.

Default What to buy?

Go with a two-man. If you're already planning on nothing smaller than 10', than you might as well get something that will give you room for a passenger (or your own gear).

Yeah, thats what I've been thinking too. I eventually plan on packing some gear up on them and camping on the river. If there is not a second person, that room will go to more gear. I'm also trying to convince a buddy of mine to get his own, but hes a bit of a tight wad. Thanks for the advice. Also, what brands of them do you guys like? I'm looking for something tough, but still not so heavy that I can't carry it around myself. I'm only 19 and a pretty big guy, so I can handle my fair share of weight.

Thanks again.

Default 2 person for sure

We have a 2 person and would not trade it for the world. Even if the wife does not want to go you will never have a problem filling the 2nd seat. As far as Brands, The Aire is one of the most popular and from what i read one of the most durable. Im one of the "outsiders". I bought a Bucks Bags 2 person. This will be my 4th year on it and it has been nothing shy of fantastic for the wife and I. Reinforced tubes, double chamber, platfrom with bar for the wife, quick release anchor, I like the fact that as the oarsman i sit very close to the water and can whip it around like nothing. 124 lbs so easy to move and carry and it sits on top of our popup camper for towing and then i just strap it to the truck to lauch and land, You can view the new model at www.bucksbags.com Either way no matter what brand I do highly suggest a 2 person. I think it is always much more fun to float and fish with someone else and it is a bit more safe. Good luck and share with us what you do decide on.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default It all depends-

Hello Griff,

It really depends on what you plan to do with the boat. If you're hunting, you'll need a lot more floatation than you will for a playboat or for day trips (fishing the upper Kenai, for example).

For just light and fast day trips, you might look at the AIRE Ocelot. It's a 14-footer that offers a little room, but not too much. This boat would be ideal for Willow Creek, Little Willow, and other valley streams as well.

If the Ocelot is a bit too small, you could look at the Jaguarundi. A 16-footer, it's perfect for two people and a light gear load.

I would definitely speak with Tracey Harmon at Alaska Raft and Kayak about this, and have a look at his frames. They make some really good frames for flyout trips, which you will eventually want to do.

AIRE offers a ten-year, no-fault warranty (the best in the business). This means if ANYTHING happens to your cat tubes, FOR ANY REASON, AIRE will repair or replace for free. The boats are also very easy to repair, because they use an inner bladder system that is accessed via a zipper in the shell.

One more thing I would be cautious about. I would personally avoid the AIRE Lion or the NRS River catarafts, unless you plan on never using them with an outboard. Both boats have blunt bow and stern sections that will plow like a barge when the boat is loaded heavy. Just my take. You do get a lot more lift with these boats, but at the expense of performance.

If you are going to be in Anchorage at the Great Alaska Sportsman Show, I would be happy to show you what I'm talking about in person. I will be there all four days and will make time to go over the boat stuff with you. I don't work for that company, I just like their boats and have two of them. The show is the first weekend in April, starting on Thursday and going through Sunday. I will also be conducting several seminars there, some of which is focused on equipment.

Lots more to say on this, but this should get you started anyway. If you're price shopping (and who isn't), you might check out some of the discount pricing on new boats this spring, or check the used market as folks commonly sell what they have this spring and either upgrade or move out of Alaska and clean out the garage.

Hope it helps!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default or

check out the Outcast Fishcat, it is 13' and seats two. Or one with gear, the frame is a bit heavy but it is a good two man option. Just another one to look at at ARK. Good Luck and have fun.

Thanks a lot for all the info, that was way more then I needed, lol. Looks like I'll just have to spend some time at the Sportsmans Show. I think I might be working there anyway, so I might be able to walk around a bit too. And Mike, I think I work with a friend of yours, Jeff Varvil. I could probably be talking to him about this, but I haven't been working with him lately.

Unfortunatly I drive a small sedan, so I'll be limited on what I can buy. Unless the frames pack up somewhat, I could fit it in the car, or at least strap it to the roof. I might be getting an SUV from the lower 48 shipped up, that will solve my problems if it happens.

Default one man cats

If you were going to spend the money anyway you may want to look at getting two one man cats. Especially if you go by yourself very often. Unless you plan on only floating rivers/lakes that you can drive right up to the shore that can really be a pain carrying that big of a boat. Plus you can take them on much smaller creeks that larger rafts can't go. Also when it comes to portaging around major logjams a you will love the smaller boat. You could buy a good quality one for yourself & a less expensive model for a buddy. Another very handy accesory is a small wheel that attatches to the boat which allows you to move it around like a wheelbarrow. I highly recommend it.

Default Jeff Varvil

Quote Originally Posted by griff View Post
    ...Mike, I think I work with a friend of yours, Jeff Varvil. I could probably be talking to him about this, but I haven't been working with him lately...
    Griff,

Although Jeff has been known on occasion to be in the general area while work was being done, I don't believe there are any witnesses or hard factual data to support the notion that he has actually been personally involved in the work itself. This could explain your comment that you "haven't been working with him lately..."

And yes, you can tell him I said that!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Ha, I'll be sure to mention it to him, just got to write it down.

Default computer screen

Mike,
    You owe me a new comupter sreen for that One,LOL. I just sprayed the old one witha mouthfull of beer.
    I shouldn't drink beer and read these forums anymore! I't would save on computer equipment!

Marc