Thread: Staying in Coopers Landing

Default Staying in Coopers Landing

Hi,

again.

In early July, Ill be staying in a cabin in coopers Landing. The person booking my cabin is awesome. She booked me a cabin right on the Kenai.

Now, for a newbie like me, I hear 'Kenai' and I start to scream like a little school girl...why are you laughing?

Anyways, Im sure for some of you guys, you wonder; "Where on the Kenai" because, some parts are better than others Im guessing.

Well, Im staying here: http://www.alaskariverscompany.com/cabins.htm

and was curious if any of you have ever stayed there? If you havent, do you think I would have any chance at catching some salmon from the back yard with some privacy, or are there really SPECIFIC spots on the Kenai to catch fish?

Thanks for your input again.

depends on your timing, the last week in July chances are you can catch some chrome sockeye.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    depends on your timing, the last week in July chances are you can catch some chrome sockeye.
    Yeah, Im gonna be there the first week of July.

Default Ditto what the Powder Monkey said...

We time our July fishing trips from July 18 thru the first week of August. I've been there quite a few times earlier than that and the fish (reds) have seem to show up later and later each year; in fact, 2 years ago (I think), we left on July 31 and the reds really hit the river a few days later, we missed the run for the most part because we left too early! Salmon run timing is never a sure thing. I don't fish the Russian river area anymore, but for 3 years in a row we fished it upstream opening day and did great. The Russian may be a good option as you won't be far away, plus the rainbow fishing in the Kenai is legendary.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by sodabiscuit12345 View Post
    Yeah, Im gonna be there the first week of July.
    Thats kinda in between the sockeye runs so you could try but it might be slow above the russian. THere still might be some early run fish in the russian though! Its just a short drive
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Question reds and timing

Thje first week of july is a hit or miss thing. I have been at the russian over the last 5-6 years for the 4th just to relax and chase bows. I have been on the river in the morning and seen no reds. I have gone back in the afternoon and the river was just flooded with fish for the rest of the day. Back down the next day nothing. If you work the river from about pink salmon parking area to the mouth you should find at least a few straggles making it up the river. If the run is late it could be filled with fish. Or you just might get lucky and be then when a big school pushes its way up. Either was as close as you are to the river it is worth it to give it a shot. If nothing else tie a bead headed princess nymph on and chase some rainbows on the russian. Also walk down to the mouth as see if anyone is having any luck at the conflunence.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

I guess there really is no answer to it.
    There have been years when its been great, some years, not so great.

I also thought this was funny,I read in a book about walking the 'fishermans trail' from the 'Pink or Dolly parking lot'?

Do you guys understand what this sounds like to an outsider?? Its like the fishing gods hung out one night, got plastered and invented the peninsula and gave everything from the roads to the parking lots their names. Man, just the names make me wanna fish.

Anyways, my fingers are crossed and Im hoping the reds a late.

Default Karma...

You seem to have it from your posts. Karma. Fish Karma. It seems to be yours.

Alaska's most fameous fish surrealist artist Ray Troll (http://www.trollart.com) refers to it as
    "fish ju ju".

May it all come your way...

http://www.alaskanauthor.com