Thread: Reel question

Default Reel question

Hi guys,

I own one reel. Its a Penn 750 ssm. It holds a crap load of line because I used to fish beaches where I could let the fish run till it got tired.

I was wondering, how far will a fish really run if Im fishing shorebound for salmon? I obviously want to horse the fish in so that I dont annoy the people around me, so would a smaller reel work?

Basically what I would like to know is, if I had one reel for Kings, sokeyes and silvers, how many yards should my reel hold? And what lb test?

Im thinking of just getting the smaller version of the Penn ssm series.

Thanks

I would say a minimum of 150 yds of 20 lb mono, or 40 to 50lb braid. If a fish ever gets out more than 100yds in a fast moving river kiss it good-by, unless you can run down the bank quickly.

I prefer an abu garcia 6501 (let hand retreive and no I'm not left handed). It'll hold plenty of line (20lb fire line). Easy to maintain and relatively cheap to buy.

Usually what you have will do the job. For kings any reel that will hold 150+ yards of 25-45# test will do, but the better the drag the more success you will have. All other samon I would say 150 yards of 12-20# line. Brands are not as important as how it fits in your hand. If all else fails go to walmart and get a $35 tourist special. My brother used one last summer and had no problems.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

150 yards 25-45lb.

Good stuff. Any specific make? Im used to Penn, so I usually buy Penn. I know there are other awesome reels, I just dont know them. I also prefer the flip-open reels (I have no idea what they are called).

What do you guys use?

[quote=sodabiscuit12345;242801]150 yards 25-45lb.

Good stuff. Any specific make? Im used to Penn, so I usually buy Penn. I know there are other awesome reels, I just dont know them. I also prefer the flip-open reels (I have no idea what they are called).

Spinning Reels
    Last edited by FishSean; 04-04-2008 at 18:53. Reason: misread

[QUOTE=FishSean;242806]
    Quote Originally Posted by sodabiscuit12345 View Post
    150 yards 25-45lb.

Spinning Reels
    spinning.

Thats it. Didnt remember if it was 'bait casting' or 'spinning'.

I like the Abu Garcia Record reel, or the Shimano Corsair (not sure if they make the corsair anymore) Both are bait caster reels, if you are interested in those. Make sure you get the wide spools, they will hold more line.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Smile

you can do good with either type of reel, i use to use spinning reels, 200 yards of 30# mono. recently switched to an abu garcia 6501 with 30# spider wire. but i use that to play with some bottom fish out in pws. depending where you go most of the people uphere are willing to help you land your fish and i have fished where people would not lift a hand and took your spot while you were taking care of your fish. like there is no other place in the river where the fish are. but one thing i would suggest when salmon fishing in the streams is you do not have to wade into the water to your hips to catch salmon. usually they will be swimming within 10 feet of the bank. on the russian 10 feet out puts you on the other side of the river.lol

Default Buoy Balls

Quote Originally Posted by akfun View Post
    you can do good with either type of reel, i use to use spinning reels, 200 yards of 30# mono. recently switched to an abu garcia 6501 with 30# spider wire. but i use that to play with some bottom fish out in pws. depending where you go most of the people uphere are willing to help you land your fish and i have fished where people would not lift a hand and took your spot while you were taking care of your fish. like there is no other place in the river where the fish are. but one thing i would suggest when salmon fishing in the streams is you do not have to wade into the water to your hips to catch salmon. usually they will be swimming within 10 feet of the bank. on the russian 10 feet out puts you on the other side of the river.lol
    Exactly.Some folks dont think they are fishing unless they are nut deep in the splash.It just pushes the fish further out in the current and they scoot upstream quicker.