Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bow hunting certification

Default Bow hunting certification

Can someone tell me when is the next bow certification class near Fairbanks?

Thanks

Thanks a lot.

You guys know if the you sight in before the shoot?

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskadude View Post
    Thanks a lot.

You guys know if the you sight in before the shoot?
    Shouldn't you already be sighted in and well-practiced before trying to get certified?

They basically do it like a hunting situation. Since you don't get warm-up shots before flinging an arrow at an animal, you don't get warm-up shots at the 3-D range. Or...at least that's the way it was when I was certified 10 years ago. Incidentally, the best way to practice for hunting situations once you're all sighted in is to shoot one arrow (and only one!) at a target in your backyard once a day from different positions and distances. The first arrow has to count.

I did the certification course about a year and a half ago here in Anchorage. There were 4 animal targets - one is from a platform about 15-20 feet up or so (as in tree-stand situation). You get 2 shots at each animal, for a total of 8 shots. You are required to hit 6 out of 8, but must hit at least 1 in each animal. Thus, your first shot is not an absolute must, but better be sure you hit that second one. Also, you are required to do one shot standing and one kneeling at each target. And there are two different spots at each target where you are required to shoot from - thus, you don't get to shoot standing and kneeling from the exact same spot. You have to alternate. At least here in Anchorage, I remember there being one target where a standing shot could not have been accomplished because of tree overhang. So when you got to the target, the instructor would tell you where the 2 shooting spots were and you had to evaluate which one would be better to shoot from standing, and which one kneeling.

Brian mentioned practice shooting one arrow over and over. I would recommend shooting two arrows over and over - to know they are straight (trust me on this ). One of my arrows went a good distance wide of the kill zone on the first shot, and then wide again on another animal. I put it away and found it had a slight bend when I got home. I hit the rest dead on, so passed. But at your shoot is not the time to find out you have a dud. But, you didn't get to shoot one arrow, then go pull it, and shoot it again. So you needed at least two shooters.

I also recommend practicing from standing and kneeling positions. There were actually people in my group that had never shot a kneeling shot before. It is also good if you can at least get in several practice rounds from a raised platform. Do all of this from various distances and learn how to judge the distance. I think the Anchorage shoot had distances of 18-29 yards or so.

But as Brian said, practice and be sighted in before you go. That is the point of the course and certification - to know you will be able to hit what you are aiming at, from whatever you distance you are at, when you get in the field. And to do it without warmup shots.

Good luck.

Thanks guys for the information. The reason that I asked about the sight in, is because I change some stuff around, (new sight). I don't know if the targets at the range that I shoot are going to be up before the class. Just planning ahead. One more question, Do you shoot a broadhead, therfore recommending two arrows that shoot straight. I do practice knealing, from a elevated stand and different type of situation.

a bit off subject - but perhaps relevant...

Will my colorado bohunter education NBEF course recipricate with the Alaska course? I think that it will as I took it so that I could bowhunt in Alaska.

At the beginning of the course the instructor asked how far we thought we could make a clean kill on an animal. I held back a little bit and said 60 yards. The instructor snickered a little bit. On the last day of the shoot we went to the course and he had a deer target with a steel plate in front of it and an 8 inch hole cut at the vital zone. Instructor told us that we didn't have to shoot the distance we indicated if we didn't want to. I did. And then backed up three more times - 4 arrows one each at 60-90...none hit steel....but several of the others did. It was a good course - but I would have rather been scouting elk!

Dude - You'll be shooting field points. Although broadheads would more closely resemble a hunting situation, they would destroy the 3-D targets.

Jeez - re read that and it came across as a bit of an arse.....sorry. I do prefer the 3-10 yard shots

Default NEBF Cert.

Bullelkklr Yeah your NBEF course is good to go I was certified in washington state and did the same thing you described. I went to both fish and game and the troopers as long as its a national certification your good to go. Plus i have been checked thousands of times in the north slope and in the FMA during my 11 years in Alaska.

Default Shooting

Since you don't have to shoot at the same time you take the class portion in Alaska then you should be fine. I just took the class and now I have a year to complete the shooting portion. The next shooting portion is 4/27 in fairbanks.

Default True but

You may have taken the course portion, but you will not receive an Alaskan Bow Hunter Education card until you complete the shooting portion. Waiting is not a good thing. If you fail the shooting portion (before the online course became an option) you would be required to re-take the entire course, both parts.

You might just screw up a hunt by not completing the course as soon as possible.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    You may have taken the course portion, but you will not receive an Alaskan Bow Hunter Education card until you complete the shooting portion. Waiting is not a good thing. If you fail the shooting portion (before the online course became an option) you would be required to re-take the entire course, both parts.

You might just screw up a hunt by not completing the course as soon as possible.
    As Dave said, take care of it all in one shot and get it done. I think when I did the Anchorage class we did the classroom portion on one night and a little bit on the second night and took the written test. Came back the third night to do the shoot and within an hour I was done and certified. Get proficient and get the testing part done with. No need to prolong it.

Default ?

I don't understand this forum. I answer a guys question. Then have two people basically tell me I am stupid for not taking the entire course. Well, If the two previous posters would have taken the time to read my post they would have seen that I could not take the shooting portion since it is not available til 4/27. Very annoying.

I don't think they were insinuating that you are stupid. I think they're just sharing their opinion that it would be ideal to get it all done at once if possible. That's all I'm reading from their posts.

Quote Originally Posted by cool_husker View Post
    Since you don't have to shoot at the same time you take the class portion in Alaska then you should be fine. I just took the class and now I have a year to complete the shooting portion. The next shooting portion is 4/27 in fairbanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by cool_husker View Post
    I don't understand this forum. I answer a guys question. Then have two people basically tell me I am stupid for not taking the entire course. Well, If the two previous posters would have taken the time to read my post they would have seen that I could not take the shooting portion since it is not available til 4/27. Very annoying.
    husker - was NOT meaning to imply you were stupid in any way. Apologize if you took it that way. I did not realize they ever offered the classroom portion separately from the shooting portion. By your post I inferred that you failed the shoot after class and will take it again on 4/27.

My thought, and I think it was Dave's too, was that where you said you have a year to complete the shooting portion --> bad idea IMHO. If someone pushed it all the way to the one year mark, and then failed the shoot, they would have to take the classroom portion all over again. That would be kind of stupid, don't ya think?

Sorry for the confusion.

Default Ok

All I was saying is that I took the class portion. The shooting portion was not offered. You have one year to complete the shooting portion. I thought that was clear. I did not fail the shooting portion b/c it was not offered. I guess they don't do both portions in fairbanks at the same time b/c of winter? I am not sure. I have reread all post and they all seem clear to me, but I am over it some good luck to all.

Guy, I appreciated all your input. I will be attending the 4/27 class so I can have everything done in one day. Again thanks. husker I might get the chance to shoot right next to you.
    Until them......

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskadude View Post
    Guy, I appreciated all your input. I will be attending the 4/27 class so I can have everything done in one day. Again thanks. husker I might get the chance to shoot right next to you.
    Until them......
    I might just see you there.

My question is... are you allowed to use releases for the Certification?
    Lurker.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast