Thread: accurate powder, is it dirty

Default accurate powder, is it dirty

I want to load for my 30-06 as well as my ar15.
    My manual list the ACCU 2230 as a powder that can fill both cases. And it is available in town.
    I want to know if anyone has had experience with Accurate powder.
    Thanks
    Steven

Quote Originally Posted by loquito View Post
    I want to load for my 30-06 as well as my ar15.
    My manual list the ACCU 2230 as a powder that can fill both cases. And it is available in town.
    I want to know if anyone has had experience with Accurate powder.
    Thanks
    Steven
    4320 and Varget are listed for both the .223 Rem and .30-06 as well and these are good choices that burn cleanly...

Brian

Default Yes But

While AA 2230 may be listed as a powder that works in both calibers, and AA powders aren't any dirtier than say RL powders. AA 2230 is NOT the optimum powder for a 30-06, it is too fast. It was designed as a powder for the 223 and simular case sized cartridges. It works well in 22PPC -6mmBR, and yes it's even used in the 45-70.
    I use AA2230c by the 8 lb caddy for varmint hunting and it works well without being dirty.
    Just buy an extra pound of powder that's designed for a medium size case, 4320,4350,4831,BLC-2. It goes fast enough when loading.
    JMO
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I started using Accurate when it first becamne available. It burns clean, throws accurately and I never has trouble with it.
    I got out of reloading but due to ammo costs I've started up again. Accurate is on my shelves!!
    Give'er a try!!

ciao...

reuben

Thumbs up 2230

good for AR 223 Rem but not 30-06

Thumbs down Aa2230

Good for the 223 AR but not the 30-06.........4350 for the 30-06 in Hod, AA or IMR.

thanks guys,
    I think I am going to run some through the .223 and see how she does.
    Steven

Is Accurate powder dirty? Well ball powder is dirty. The nature of the beast. There are several powders out now that give very fine performance from the 223 that are not ball powder and are much cleaner for the gas system.

I see posts all the time about how great this or that ball powder is in thier semi auto and that they work great. Performance wise these ball powders are great, they usually give highest velocity with a range of bullet weights but they are messy. This is due to the non linear burn rate vs pressure curve of the powder and they just leave a lot of residue. (If you don't know what that means don't worry about it.)

The powder performs, that is true, it was developed for the caliber and the Armalite rifle but it is still dirtier than newer extruded powders. Even the great old H322 is a much cleaner powder for the 223. Benchmark is also a fine powder as are the VihtaVouri powders.

The biggest advantage of the ball powders , be it W748 or AA2230 is that they meter in the slide bar of the Dillon, or any powder measure, very consistantly and they are very economical. If those points are more important to you, you should be using AA2230 or similar ball powder.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Thumbs up Bullet weight

If you go up in bullet weight to the 64 PP or 65 Sierra BT in the AR
    Varget or RL 15 and then use this powder in the 30-06.

I prefer Varget and 68/69 BTHP in my AR.