Thread: (2001) 115 Evinrude Ficht RAM Injection

Default (2001) 115 Evinrude Ficht RAM Injection

Hi all, new here, I bought this motor from a State auction 3 years ago. It was used by the Fish and Game on the Yukon River. Was going to put it on my 18' sprint (have a 75 on it now ) but have had some people tell me the fichts had somme problems. Did a little research and found that the 1999s & the 2000s had some problems, but by the 2001s they pretty much had the bugs worked of them. From my understanding the reason that they sold these motors was that all state boats had to go to 4-stroke. The motor is in exe. shape, just curious on your thoughts. Thanks E.S.

Default Fichts

Funny you should say that. I might have run that motor. The fichts were notorious for having problems. We blew a number of powerheads on the 150hp when they first came out. They seemed to have all kinds of fancy technology, which lead to alarms going off all the time for who knows what. Now saying this, these motors were the 1998 or 99 models. Hopefully yours will give you many hours of use. I think the state just had too many problems around the state to justify the repair time and money.

I owned a 2001 FICHT 150 HP bought new and ran it about 200 Hrs before selling the boat. Ran great but I did have the lower unit go out at about 25 Hrs (must have been a problem because the replacement was a little bit stronger). Also got stranded when the computer quit working in cold tempatures (20 F) the new computer worked fine when cold.

Default Info

Thanks for the info guys, anyone else that has had or dose have one of these motors, your thoughts are also welcome. Thanks E.S.

( 20 degrees, little chilly for me to be on the water. lol )

The bulk of the early problems were caused by guys over-propping their boats (too much pitch). The max rpm for that motor is probably 5800 - 6000 rpm or so. Make sure that when you set your boat up, that you can get at least 5800 rpm out of it wide open on calm water with a normal fishing/cruising/hunting load. If you do that, the rest will take care of itself.

Make sure you learn how to replace the spark plugs - it's not as simple as screwing in a new one. There is a specific Champion part number that is the right plug to use, and its gap MUST be pointed in the right direction (roughly towards the fuel injector, plus or minus 45-degrees of rotation or so). If you hunt around on the web, you'll find guidance on just how to do that. You'll eat a set of spark plugs every 60-80 hours of operation. Buy them online in bulk quantity (enough for 3-4 changeouts).

Make sure to use whatever oil Evinrude authorizes for use in the current etec motors. Do not run anything else. Oiling in a direct-injected 2-stroke happens differently than in an old carbed 2-stroke.

Default useful info

Thanks for the info Vek, I would have never thought that a spark plug has to be turned a certain way. Yes after the research I kinda new there was a certain oil, also I read that your supposed to use DX50, or DX100 in the cyilnders when you store it for the winter,( just going on what I read and heard) as far as the pitch, how dose that effect the motor when using a jet? Thanks for the info. E.S.

i presume you'd set the jet up in a similar way - making sure the motor can rev to 5800 - 6000 rpms at WOT.