Thread: tree sources, near Fairbanks

Default tree sources, near Fairbanks

Anyone have suggestions on a good source for fruit trees in the Interior, around Fairbanks/Manley Hot Springs/etc.? I'll want to plant some apples, crabapples, chokecherries and maybe some ussurian pears. Obviously the number of varieties of apples and crabapples that grow in the Interior of Alaska is pretty limited, so any suggestions on a source with a good reputation in the area would be appreciated...

Default Fruit trees

Several years ago a fellow named Clair Lammers did just a lot of work in developing various fruit trees that would grow in the Fairbanks climate. He operated a nursery somewhere off Chena Hot Springs road I believe. We got two apple trees from him, the moose took one the other is doing well and producing fruit most years. He is listed in the North Pole phone book.

Quote Originally Posted by AkRascal View Post
    Several years ago a fellow named Clair Lammers did just a lot of work in developing various fruit trees that would grow in the Fairbanks climate. He operated a nursery somewhere off Chena Hot Springs road I believe. We got two apple trees from him, the moose took one the other is doing well and producing fruit most years. He is listed in the North Pole phone book.
    I'll have to look him up when I'm in the area and see if he's still selling them/what he has. Do you recall what variety of apple it is you have that's done well?

Default Sorry no

That is my wife's department, I can tell you tho that they are round and red.

Quote Originally Posted by AkRascal View Post
    We got two apple trees from him, the moose took one the other is doing well and producing fruit most years.
    Are there other apple tree's around? Very few apple tree's can self pollinate.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Default Well I don't know

We have had that tree for 9 years, only in the last two has it borne fruit..

Clair no longer sells fruit trees. I was told the following person DOES and that they are carrying on where Claire left off. Apparently there was some kind of hand-off when it comes to all those root stocks and grafts that Claire's been figuring out for the last few decades:

Call Eric Mayo at 479-6363 (Fbx obviously)

I would definitely go with these guys. The root stocks are those that work in the Interior and resist rot, pests, extreme cold, etcetera. And the grafted-on stock is designed for here as well.

Brian

Default Hey, thanks for that info

Maybe it is time for another tree.

Default trees

I've been following the thread, thanks TananaB, I'm going to look him up as well.

Cody

Question trees

Thought I'd resurrect? this thread, still looking for apple trees. I left a message at the number above last year to no avail. Anyone else have any luck finding trees?
    Cody

GVEA has an annual day where they give away Choke Cherry trees. They aren't in the greatest of shape, but they are definitely plantable. You will need to plant them right away.
    I am pretty sure that there is some kind of Arbor Day where somewhere gives out free trees. I am not sure if they are fruit trees or not, but they give them out.
    About the other fruit trees, have you tried Holm Town Garden? They are getting ready to complete their addition to their greenhouse area and maybe they might start growing some trees before long to be ready for planting season.
    There are some other greenhouses in the area that you can call as well.
    There is one on 12 Mile Rich Hwy.
    Reese's Greenhouse is also available.
    I also know that UAF has a gardening program and they offer classes on how to take care of plants through the year.
    http://www.uaf.edu/snras/gbg/
    Here is a link on the program:
    http://www.uaf.edu/ces/michele/program.html

One last one:
    A good article about gardening and fruit trees in the Interior:
    http://www.gi.alaska.edu/ScienceForum/ASF5/535.html

I hope that helps.
    I read this thread back then, too... and I never found anything, so I didn't respond.
    Lurker.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Just a thought, but have you tried the experimental farm at the UAF? also one in the valley over by Mat Su community college. and the cooperative extension service may have a listing of numbers..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Could be...

I know the temps are extreme in Manley area(-45 at Kindamina last week) but I would bet the folks at C&O Nursery in Wenatchee Washington could help you folks.Our temps here in the mts can be hanging around zero for a while, and we are the Apple capitol.# 509-662-7164.GR

Quote Originally Posted by Rovingarcher View Post
    I know the temps are extreme in Manley area(-45 at Kindamina last week) but I would bet the folks at C&O Nursery in Wenatchee Washington could help you folks.Our temps here in the mts can be hanging around zero for a while, and we are the Apple capitol.# 509-662-7164.GR
    Do they sell seedlings or mini trees, do you know?
    Lurker.

Default Trees....

Quote Originally Posted by COtoAK View Post
    Do they sell seedlings or mini trees, do you know?
    I'm sure they would sell, or put you in the right direction for whatever you needed.They are a huge outfit...GR

Default FSWCD's Annual Tree & Shrub Spring sale

If young trees and shrubs are okay, buying them from the Fairbanks Soil & Water Conservation District spring sale is a great deal.

Last year it was on May 31st. They usually have the order sheets up on the website in March. And usually they have lots (20-35 types) of trees to choose from. Pines, Spruces, maples, lilacs, chokecherries, etc...

I am trying to remember what the prices are....seems like is was between $3 and $5 depending on the plant.

Going to this is one of my favorite things to do in the spring. It is quite a fun social event . An 4-H club is always there helping out and selling snacks.

Thanks for the responses folks, I'll be checking back to this posting in a few months to again attempt to find some young trees to kill, I mean grow. lol Have always done very well with my garden but I seem to make all my trees suicidal, they must not care for me too much. Thanks again.

Cody