Thread: eberlestock packs

Default eberlestock packs

has anyone ever used an eberlestock pack? checked one out at the juneau boat show last weekend and was intrigued.

Default love it

The first year I hunted goats on Kodiak I had a big Cabelas fanny pack with shoulder straps and I carried a collapsable pack frame with me. I like fanny packs because your back doesn't get near a sweaty, but it was actually too big and I either didn't have it adjusted well or it didn't fit me well and didn't ride right and wasn't real comfortable. For my second trip for Kodiak goats I wanted to try something different and saw one of these packs. Both my Bro. in law and I got one. I loved it. You didn't have to shoulder your rifle which was a huge bonus on wet, snowy, slippery rocks. I jumped a black tailed deer out of it's bed and easily pulled my gun from the scabbard quickly and shot it. We saw some goats that we were going to go after and it was going to be a hell hike, so we dumped everything out of our packs that we could to reduce weight. We both had those collapsable frame packs (which I still like very much) but I wanted to reduce weight even more and thought that between the 2 of us we could carry the whole boned out goat and it's hide in our packs. My Bro. in law shot one, and we did get the whole thing into our packs. They were very heavy and I'm sure maxed out, but it worked out great. I especially loved the fact that we didn't have to shoulder our rifles with huge packs while clinging to the side of a mt. like cats. It seems that you can never get your gun comfortable and that it is always shifting in times of stress. I also bow hunt and it has the bow pouch. I use it, but haven't found a way yet to keep my bow strapped in tight with out shifting all over, but it's not too bad. Anyway, this was a really long way to say that the pack is great. I got mine on www.sierratradingpost.com for $80 but haven't seen them lately.

Default so far so good

I have the J104 and have liked it so far. I don't believe it will take the place of a frame pack for hauling out moose, but it will carry a load and do it comfortably. I like the way my rifle fits and exits the scabbord. Even my 22.250 on a bipod can be pulled out make a quick shot.

I still want to put some more miles on mine namely sheep season, which I bought it for, before I talk it up too much. I do like it while hiking over the tundra because my gun is accessible and not shifting all over the place.

Goaty, which model do you have?

Default rugger

I'll check tonight and get back tomorrow.

Thumbs up Awesome...

I got a Eberlestock gunslinger in OD green. Love it. Incredible build quality and very well designed. As durable a pack as you will find too. Lots of cool accessories and great customer service. I called with a question about using the accessory side scabbard (for holding shotgun) to carry my fly rod tube in. Glen Eberstock himself answered the phone and he told me what size fly rod tube would fit in the side scabbard and offered to make it fit if I had a larger fly rod tube than what would fit the stock scabbard. Told me there would be no charge for doing so. I wish more companies treated their customers that way. Eberlestock, Burris Optics, and Cabelas are on a short list of companies that have always treated me well.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default Rugger

Rugger,
    On the front of my pack it says X Project EXC, so I guess that's the model.
    It has the gun scabbard and a bow pouch on the back. You can use both at the same time. The large interior is separated by a velcro divider giving you a top and a bottom, or, unvelcro it for one big space. It also has some side pockets. The shoulder pads and waist belt are very padded and comfortable. I really like the pack

I have a J104 and so far I like it. I have not had a chance to put it through some hard use, but am sure looking forward to doing just that If I had one complaint, it would be the way the vertical strap connects the outside shelf to the pack's top. I was carrying my snow shoes on that shelf earlier this winter and the vertical strap that holds the top closed was right in the way. Wasn't a huge concern but I would like to see future models change that design a bit.