Thread: taxidermy question

Default taxidermy question

Hunted PWS and shot a nice buck two years ago, I had the cape tanned and it shrunk so much my taxidermist cannot mount it decent. All I have now is the nice rack. Looking for a cape that has not shrunk to mount my antlers to. any suggestions?

Call Yukon Grubaugh at Tall Tales Taxidermy. He often has capes to sell, and if he doesn't he could probably put you in contact with another taxidermist who has one.

Failing that, post a message back here in September asking for a hunter to save their cape for you. I'm sure you'd get some takers if you offered a reasonable price.

Talking Be careful

Quote Originally Posted by moodyone View Post
    Hunted PWS and shot a nice buck two years ago, I had the cape tanned and it shrunk so much my taxidermist cannot mount it decent. All I have now is the nice rack. Looking for a cape that has not shrunk to mount my antlers to. any suggestions?
    A cape that will not rehydrate and stretch back to the original size is usually from poor tanning or not mounted for a long period (usually over a year, depending on the tan). It's not that they shrink, they just lose their elasticity and the older the tanned hide is, the less stretch there will be. Problem can be if you purchase a deer cape that's already tanned, there's a chance you'll get someone's old stock (that their getting rid of) and you'll be back in the same situation you're in now. My suggestion is to buy a cape that is either salt dried or fresh (frozen), from someone with an honest reputation. Good luck, ciao.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

Quote Originally Posted by Maydog View Post
    A cape that will not rehydrate and stretch back to the original size is usually from poor tanning
    I have mounted capes that were tanned over ten years ago with zero troubles, but like maydog said, if it has no stretch then it was a poor tan job.

Default who tanned it

who did the taxidermist have tan it??,.i use the wildlife gallery in michigan...nice soft stretchy hides that wet up real easy...if you do buy a new cape....buy one that was killed this up coming year...and dont buy a frozen one...you never know what your gonna find when it thawes out.....if the person has a frozen one..have then thaw it out so you can look at it....make sure there is enough lip skin and nose skin and the eyelids aren't cut and the ear ducts aren't cut and that the cape is long enough in the brisket and sides...and few skinning holes...and none in the face...the body is ok..but not in the face...if you buy a salted one make sure the ear lips and nose were all turned properly and that the cape is longe enough and there are few skinning cuts....hides can last for a long time just salted but the longer they sit salted the less "stretch" you get out of them when they are tanned....i would call some taxidermists and see if they have any from last year that they have to sell or like brian said post another thread come hunting season asking folks to bring you out a cape...describe what you expect as far as skinning goes and what part of season you want your cape from...there is a pretty dramatic change from august to december
    Last edited by sharksinthesalsa; 03-20-2008 at 20:01. Reason: i'm dumb
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Talking Fresh cape

I guess what it comes down to, outside of eyeballing a fresh cape that meets your requirements, there's no guarantee that a tanned, salted or frozen cape will be good, especially if it's purchased from a source that's far away from you. And if someone is out to rook you, then consider yourself rooked, and let the battle begin. There's a lot of factors that come into play to get quality tanning, and even a quality tannery can't always produce great quality, because of certain factors they can't control. I've had some items in a certain batch of hides and capes be difficult to work with, while the others were great. I've also had fresh tanned capes that were harder to work with while 3-5 year old capes from the same tannery were great. I don't know.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

Check out taxidermy.net, classifieds, and lots of cool pics & info.

KK