Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bear while fishing

Question Bear while fishing

Ok Guys- I'm going to be hunting blackie in GMU 16 near Mt Susitna. I don't know what water but the outfitter said "no fishing without a gun!"
    I don't like the idea of carrying a long gun while fishing. What do you locals think of just carrying a.45 auto? Just on the off chance of a grouchy bear.
    Hhounds

A 45 auto is pretty darn light for an angry brown bear. I've carried one in the past, as it's better than nothing and will certainly get the bear's attention if he gets too curious, but I wouldn't count on it stopping an angry bear in its tracks.

I carry a 44mag now, but even better would be a short shotgun with slugs.

fishing just isn't fishing without guns and booze, right?

....seriously though....I wouldn't worry too much. Most bears won't try and eat you. The best defense you can have is common sense. If your comfy shooting your 45, bring it. Not as good as a shotgun, but you almost undoubtedly won't need either. Walking up on Mr. Brown Fuzzy can be awfully humbling...

Good luck on the bear hunt!

Fishing with Bears!......44Mag or bigger!

No need for a gun if you bring someone you can run faster than!!!

Actually a .22 is fine, just pop a cap in your fishin' partners knee!!!!

Buy a can of bear spray when you get to town.

Default bar spray

When the bar charges ya, yeild your bar spray - aim towards your eyes, pull trigger. Thata way ya won't see the bear eatin ya.

If a 45 is what you got then use it. If you are looking for an excuse to buy another gun take everyone elses suggestion. If you want the most effective product available buy bear spray and a holster to keep it on your chest. Bear spray is about 87% effective, pistols in general 43%, and running is 93% chance of being attacked. But if you havent taged out on your bear use your rifle or shotgun on him.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

I have carried a 45 auto fishing before. My revolver that I purchased for carrying while fishing is a taurus tracker titanium 41 mag. My brother in law got the taurus tracker 44 mag.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

I use the ruger alaskan 454 revolver.

Default fishing w/ guns

Pepper Spray is only to season yourself up for the bear.

If you carry a 45 auto, file the sights off so it does not hurt as bad when the bear is stuffing it up you.

44 mag is the lightest I would recommend carrying. I personally carry a Ruger 454 with heavy loads in it. And sometimes I carry a sawed off, pump action pistol grip shot gun, alternating the rounds between 3" slug and double 0 buck. If anything still wants to eat me after 5 rounds of that in its face, I may just shoot myself.

I know an old timer who killed a black bear with a 357 mag, but he admits it was purely luck, and if the bear had been an angry griz, it would not have happened.

Any gun you opt for, practice with it constantly. The chances you will be attacked by a bear, (if you use common sense), is less likely than your plane going down on your way out.

Another bear deterrent I saw in action last year was a small hand held marine fog horn. A guy on the Gulknana blasted one at a Sow and she bolted. I would be afraid of angering the bear or scaring it into attacking, but it worked that time.

Ok- I realize .45 is light but I don't have a big handgun and don't want the expense just for that. My other option would be to take my short deer slug gun. It even carries pretty easy. I like to take a backup in case a scope gets knocked off zero. Instead of taking a second rifle I'd take the shotgun. I'm good out to at least 100 yrds so it could save a trip if the rifle scope got "dezeroed". The 100 yrd range should be fine for hunting blackie over bait in brush. Last time I was in Alaska the airline dropped my gun case so hard it broke one latch and broke a scope ring. Had to run around and find rings and do a quick sight in.
    Does that sound like a better plan?
    Hhounds

I second the Air Horn method. On the Kenai last summer we used an airhorn and it worked great. Granted, we did have a .50 cal revolver too just in case. Maybe the bear saw the gun and didn't want any part in it, lol.

there are a lot of bears over there but every one I've ever met has been scared of me. You should rethink your outfitter if he's that scared of bears.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default that one is getting lame

the file off the front sight bit is getting old. Bears are not bullet proof.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Kenai pen, in summer. Matsu vally in winter

I know a guy that carries a 45 pistol and he had a run in with a pist off brown bear up in the mountins behind testamena lake. he told me the brown bear charged and he got four shots off hit the bear two or three times and the bear did run off. The bad thing about bears is there unpredictable and if you supprise one it happens so fast that the bigger the gun the better your chances are.
    I guide fisherman in bear country all the time I have a 44 red hawk. I wouldnt recomend a rifle or a shot gun while your going fishing only because while you fishing its going to be leaning on the tree or a rock a 100 yard from you. I dont know what kind of hand loads they have for the 45 you might be able to get barns x or some other bonded bullet for it and it would be a heck of alot better than hollow points thats for shure....

Packing a gun to go fishing is dumber than a bar of soap. But it is common. Big heavy gun lugged out where it is then set on bank with a pack so it doesn't get wet while wading. The concept of having it holstered somewhere that you could use it in a few seconds while fishing - just does not compute. Think of the lead time you have with a problem bear, what? 5 seconds max? You are in waders, using both hands fishing, with a vest and all? You're up to your waist in water. Where's that gun? you gonna get it out in 5 secs or less and have it ready to fire and hit a moving target? I doubt it. Having said that, a firearm does have some defensive use hiking, or otherwise, provided it is in your hands and ready to fire at such times - anything else, in a pack, or on the bank, does you no good.

Default Take the 45

It beats a sharp stick....if you are good with an auto like that you could put nearly as much energy into that thing as a guy with a much bigger single or even double action...if you had too, but as someone said, I'd worry more about your plane flights...or walking in Anchorage...or cholesterol....or that cigar....or .......

I think it just sounds glamorous to get charged or mauled by a bear, thus folks fear it, but we all get in our 3000 pound death traps everyday and go to work don't we?

I firmly believe that when your time is up, your time is up. I usually carry or have one nearby but the times I have had to fill my pants, no gun would have helped anyway...it was more doing the right thing in relation to the bear, and the bear taking pitty on my skinny butt.

Have fun and keep your eyes and ears open.

Quote Originally Posted by stevesch View Post
    Packing a gun to go fishing is dumber than a bar of soap. But it is common. Big heavy gun lugged out where it is then set on bank with a pack so it doesn't get wet while wading. The concept of having it holstered somewhere that you could use it in a few seconds while fishing - just does not compute. Think of the lead time you have with a problem bear, what? 5 seconds max? You are in waders, using both hands fishing, with a vest and all? You're up to your waist in water. Where's that gun? you gonna get it out in 5 secs or less and have it ready to fire and hit a moving target? I doubt it. Having said that, a firearm does have some defensive use hiking, or otherwise, provided it is in your hands and ready to fire at such times - anything else, in a pack, or on the bank, does you no good.
    absolutley not true my friend...I carry a 6" 454 in a bandolier holster on my chest, quick to get to and always on me when I'm concerned about bears while fishing....most importantly I've used it twice to ward off very angry bears....would the bears have attacked me without the gun?...who knows but the gun certainly did me 'good'....
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    absolutley not true my friend...I carry a 6" 454 in a bandolier holster on my chest, quick to get to and always on me when I'm concerned about bears while fishing....most importantly I've used it twice to ward off very angry bears....would the bears have attacked me without the gun?...who knows but the gun certainly did me 'good'....
    My buddy carries a stainless 44 Ruger on one hip and a waist pack on the other.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast