Thread: Ammo mistake

Default Ammo mistake

My wife bought the wrong ammo for me a Wallmart, and I couldn't bring it back. She bought 44 S&W Special for me when I needed .44 mag. It seems to chamber OK. Is it OK to shoot it?

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

It's fine to shoot in a 44 mag chamber.

might be the load that would help her too shoot the 44 mag.-she perhaps inadvertantly may have started herself onto some neat hobby.

rergards,

Default Take the wife

Take your wife out and let her shoot this ammo in your 44 mag. It will work perfectly in your handgun and with a lot less recoil and noise. This will make it more pleasureable for the better half and you just might gain a shooting partner.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default Thanks y'all

Good to know that $25 wasn't down the drain.

Just remember to clean the cylinders afterwards so they won't get sticky with the next magnums you shoot.
    Tsimshian tribe, wolf clan, the house of Walsk.

Default 44 Special in Magnum chambers - one caution

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfeye View Post
    Just remember to clean the cylinders afterwards so they won't get sticky with the next magnums you shoot.
    Sayak,

Wolfeye is giving good advice about cleaning your cylinder's chambers after shooting the 44 Specials in your 44 Magnum.

Because I cannot leave well enough alone, I will venture an explanation of why.

The 44 Special cartridges are shorter than the 44 Magnum. That means the portion of the chambers normally not exposed to the bullet and powder immediately in front of the mouth of the (44 Special) cartridge (normally covered up by the extra length of the 44 Magnum cartridge casing) can pick up a buildup of a little bit of lead, lubrication grease and powder residue.

That buildup can make it difficult to insert 44 Magnum cases or "sticky" to extract after firing. If the buildup is severe, it can cause the 44 Magnum case mouth to grip the bullet too tightly and cause excessive pressure.

Don't worry overmuch. If the 44 Special cases go in easily, there should be no pressure dangers with factory 44 Mag ammuntion. But is it a good idea to take a chamber brush to the range with you to brush out the chambers if you fire 44 Mag after 44 Specials. Dry brushing (or with a little solvent, followed by a dry patch or even paper towel) should clean the buildup from your chambers just fine and it only takes a few seconds.

Some folks advise shooting your Magnum ammunition before your 44 Special, but if you are equipped to clean your chambers, I think that is more than necessarily cautious.

If you want to look at the chamber dimensions in detail there is more to examine, but that is for another post and changes nothing here.

Larry (Lost Sheep)

To maybe help simplify the relationship: .44 Special is to .44 Magnum as .38 Special is to .357 Magnum
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    To maybe help simplify the relationship: .44 Special is to .44 Magnum as .38 Special is to .357 Magnum
    dont forget... .45 Colt is to .454 Casull
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post

And 32 S&W long to 32 H&R mag.

And 22 short to 22 long or long rifle.

And 480 Ruger to 475 Linebaugh.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by akula682 View Post
    dont forget... .45 Colt is to .454 Casull
    is to .460 S&W

Quote Originally Posted by .338-06 View Post
    is to .460 S&W
    ... what ?
    Josh

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

The 300 Winchester Mag. to the 300 Weatherby Mag?????

I picked up some 300 Win. Mag. cases from the range, that had obviously been fired in a 300 Weatherby.

"There are strange things done under the midnight sun".

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

or my past .457WWG to the .45-70

... what ?
    460 S&W can shoot both the 454 casull and the 45 colt.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    460 S&W can shoot both the 454 casull and the 45 colt.

so the .460 is not really a ".460"... or are the 454 and 45 colt not as accurate in the 460?
    Josh

so the .460 is not really a ".460"... or are the 454 and 45 colt not as accurate in the 460?
    All the "45" caliber handguns use the same size bullet and that is .451" to .452" and that includes the 460 S&W, the 454 Casull, the 45 Colt, the old 45 S&W, the 45 ACP/AR, the 45 GAP, the 45 Win mag, I hope I didn't miss anybody.

As for accuracy there will likely not be much difference in accuracy but POI will vary with velocity.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default What do you mean by "accurate"?

I assume you are asking about the distance the bullet travels between the case mouth and the barrel's forcing cone and how what happens in that interim affects downrange accuracy.

For that, I believe you are on your own. I have read many forums and can come to no conclusion, nor have my own experiments yielded definitive results. Too many variables, and I cannot afford to own enough guns, equipment or to take enough range time to test all those variables.

As I understand it, the theory goes that the chamber between the case mouth of a shorter case (45 colt or 454 Casull chambered in the 460 S&W or the 45 Colt chambered in a 454 Casull chamber) and the exit of the chamber/entrance of the forcing cone of the barrel allows the bullet to get out of alignment, affecting accuracy by the forcing cone swaging a bullet with its center of gravity off-center. Upon exiting the muzzle, the bullet takes off on the path the C.G. is on at that point in time, not the actual bore axis.

Put another way, the bullet exits the cartridge mouth into the chamber, which is larger than the bullet, travels some distance and gets tilted off-axis before it hits the exit of the chamber/cylinder and enters the forcing cone of the barrel. Being off-axis, the bullet is swaged by the forcing cone asymmetricall, making the center of gravity of the bullet not on the same axis as the geometric center of the bullet in the bore. Upon exiting the bore, the (off-axis) center of gravity of the bullet determines the direction of travel of the bullet. Since the amount and direction ot tilt is completely random, the scatter of the group of this gun is also random.

Truing the chambers in the cylinder improves things, but lengthening the brass and setting the bullet out to the end of the chamber seems to be the most expedient. The effect that has on pressures, notwithstanding.

This "bullet jump" factor, if real, can be obscured by other factors. Factors such as the chamber-to-barrel fit and alignment. If the size of the mouth of the chamber is significantly larger than the entry of the barrel, if the centerline of the chamber is not in perfect alignment (parallel) with the barrel, if the mouth of the chamber is not in perfect alignment (concentric) with the barrel, or if the forcing cone is not in perfect alignment with the centerline of the barrel.... too many variables for me.

All this is in addition to the usual variables involved in external ballistics, bullet flight, windage, etc.

There is valid controversy on whether or not any of this is true, or if true, of significant effect to be measured. Valid arguments are to be had all around and a Nobel prize should be given to anyone who can solve the question finally.

Lost Sheep (Larry)

P.S. Note that this is not "freebore", as freebore is not oversized.

They all shoot the same bullets of the same caliber.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Larry,

you're right in the middle of it. The forcing cone is not the culprit but the fact that the shorter cartridges do not allow the bullet to lie in the frocing cone of the cylinder. The bullet diameter and the forcing cone diameter should be the same size for a good fit up and best accuracy. This and cylinder alignment (line bored) and forcing cone angle, smoothness, etc are the three most importan aspect of accuracy in revolvers, well these and the barrel itself. It is mostly speculation that the shorter calibers are less accurate and at least in theory they are not. I once had a 7 1/2 " barreled FA 83 in 454 that would shoot correctly sized hard cast bullets into 4" at 100 yards. This same gun would shoot 45 Colt loads to the same group as long as velocity was the same (lighter bullets). I have had at least three 44's that would shoot 44 spcls into spaller groups than any 44 mag loads. All this with the long jump to the cylinder throats from the open cylinder. Go figure! I've also had the opposite results with the shorter cases giving worse accuracy. I have no experience with the 460 and we could speculate that the longer jump would be worse for accuracy but I see no point in that If you buy a 460 you should shoot 460's in it.