Thread: Wooohoooo (and questions)

Default Wooohoooo (and questions)

Glad to see this forum up and running. Kudos to the mods and all of the powers that be to get this going. I am very appreciative of it.

Now for some gardening questions.

I live in Anchorage. I would love to grow some tomatoes and am wondering if a greenhouse might be in order. I grew up in California and we had more fresh tomatoes than we could handle.

Second, we love blueberries. We eat them year round. Unfortunately, they are pretty much all store bought. I would like to get out and pick some in the wild this summer, but I doubt that I can get enough to keep us going year round (although some of you might have suggestions on how to go about doing that?).

But, my question is - can they be grown here in town? Blueberry hill is not too far away, so I can't see why it is not possible. Many people here grow raspberries, which I don't care too much for, and they say the spread like crazy and take over everything. I must say, I wouldn't not mind having that same problem with some blueberry bushes in my yard. Thoughts?

My girlfriend and I do tomato's every year(among other veggies), and we have a small greenhouse to grow them in. Get them started early inside, and then transfer them to the greenhouse whne temps stay above freezing at night.

I don't know where you live in Los Anchorage, so they may have restrictions on what you can put up. Here in the Valley, we don't need to worry about those silly things on unrestricted property.
    I refuse to tiptoe through life, only to arrive safely at death.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Bushpilot View Post
    My girlfriend and I do tomato's every year(among other veggies), and we have a small greenhouse to grow them in. Get them started early inside, and then transfer them to the greenhouse whne temps stay above freezing at night.

I don't know where you live in Los Anchorage, so they may have restrictions on what you can put up. Here in the Valley, we don't need to worry about those silly things on unrestricted property.
    Yes, I definitely need to get the greenhouse up this summer. As for restrictions, no way. When I bought a house I made sure there were no CCR's or other restrictions in my neighborhood. In the summer, my neighbor usually has 4 vehicles, a construction trailer, a snowmachine/atv trailer, and a camper trailer in the driveway . . . errrr, cul-de-sac. Some restrictions might be nice, but so far as I can tell, I can put up a nice big greenhouse out back with no worries.

Hope someone has ideas on the blueberries.

Quote Originally Posted by jmg View Post
    Yes, I definitely need to get the greenhouse up this summer. As for restrictions, no way. When I bought a house I made sure there were no CCR's or other restrictions in my neighborhood. In the summer, my neighbor usually has 4 vehicles, a construction trailer, a snowmachine/atv trailer, and a camper trailer in the driveway . . . errrr, cul-de-sac. Some restrictions might be nice, but so far as I can tell, I can put up a nice big greenhouse out back with no worries.

Hope someone has ideas on the blueberries.
    That's why I'm going to be building on a lot with no CCR's. No help for ya on blueberries, I just run to Fred Meyer when I'm in the mood for some blueberry pancakes.

Now I just have to head over to Home Depot to price out materials for a coop for the chickens. I guess that's not gardening, but I hear the waste from them will turn a compost heap to rich soil. Plus, I'll be "harvesting" eggs come August.
    I refuse to tiptoe through life, only to arrive safely at death.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

Thomas Jefferson

I got my tomatoes started and they are about an inch tall. It will be a long time before they get out into the greenhouse though (about June 1st in my neck of the woods). By the time I transplant they will most likely have flowers for an early crop. Will have to find and upload some of my greenhouse pictures to share...

You might be able to buy domestic blueberries at a home garden center. Like strawberries, some other berries and fruit bushes they probably come in root bundles. Think they get into the stores around late April to mid May. Ask and find out if they have blueberries.

Spring is here and it is time to start the seeds, at least some of them. However, we have a whopping high of +3 and a stiff breeze today so it doesn't feel like spring has sprung just yet...Soon I imagine...

Happy Gardening,
    Grandma Lori
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

If you have a spot for collecting wild blueberries plant some of them at home and see what they do rather than eating them all, they will eventually grow, or should anyways. Of course, for more quick results planting plants that have been started would be the way to go...

Mark

I've never heard of anyone around here growing blueberries at home, but raspberries are certainly popular.

I suspect they're difficult to grow here in the Upper Cook Inlet coastal climate, unless you're up in altitude.

Default storing blueberries

My family picks a year supply of blueberries every fall (about 5 gallons). Clean them well, roll them around on newspaper or other absorbent material to dry. Place the dried berries in a single layer on a waxpaper covered tray; place tray in the freezer. When the berries are frozen, store in a ziplock bag in the freezer. This has worked very well for us. I prefer wild berries by far over store-bought.

LBenz

Default about the blueberries

I have 4 blueberry bushes that I rescued from a friend who did their best to kill them, planted them in sand, didn't water, and they were in the shade. The moose love them, so they have really had a very tough life. But I got my very first blueberry , yes, that is singular!, last year. I have had them for 3 yrs. now. So, yes you can grow them, and he bought them at Lowes or Home Depot.
    As for the tomatoes I would think you would have to have the greenhouse. But I am really no good at tomatoes. I am going to try again this year and see if I have better luck. I had the most beautiful plants, but the blossoms just wouldn't set on fruit. It was very frustrating indeed!