Thread: Safe-T-Puller Size

Default Safe-T-Puller Size

The Safe-T-Puller comes in the 100lb, 200lb, and the light commercial which has 300lb capacity. I have the big one on order but, they lost their source for the bigger motor and arn't able to supply the distributers with this model and won't for a couple of months.

The place I am ordering from has the 200lb model in stock. My question is for those of you who have the Safe-T-Puller. What size do you have and is it worth waiting for the bigger one. The reason I wanted the big one is that the 200lb model wouldn't be able to pull me up if I fell overboard and they had to use the puller to get me back on board. I suspect it would be fine to pull 3 to 5 shrimp pots though.
    What-a-Day
    27' x 9.5' Glacier Craft - Volvo 300hp D4 Diesel
    Remember: Any fool can be uncomfortable.
    Denny

Cansel the order and buy a electra-dyne hauler. In my humble opinion they are the best electric hauler available, they do cost more but you'll only buy it once. Do a google search they have a website. Buy your pots & rigging from me

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Thumbs up puller

I use the quick catch pot puller on my boat, it's not ideal but I pull my anchor with it too so it works out pretty well for me. I believe it's rated at 200lb. I've never pulled 5 up because I split them up but I pull 3 at a time all the time with absolutely no problems. I think your 200lb model will work just fine.

Also, I'll second potbuilder's advice, if you don't already have some get some pots from him, it's what I use and am very happy with them.

Quote Originally Posted by fishnhuntr View Post
    I use the quick catch pot puller on my boat, it's not ideal but I pull my anchor with it too so it works out pretty well for me. I believe it's rated at 200lb. I've never pulled 5 up because I split them up but I pull 3 at a time all the time with absolutely no problems. I think your 200lb model will work just fine.

Also, I'll second potbuilder's advice, if you don't already have some get some pots from him, it's what I use and am very happy with them.
    Thanks Cody & we're looking foreward to seeing you at the Fairbanks Show.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Default 200lb vs 300lb Capacity

Just a bump to give some additional Safe-T-Puller owners a chance to see this.

So far no one has answered the question of whether a puller with 200lb capacity would be enough to serve the needs on a boat for pulling pots and as a davit and winch for loading things on board (including me if I should fall overboard). Or, should I wait for the model with 300lbs of capacity.
    What-a-Day
    27' x 9.5' Glacier Craft - Volvo 300hp D4 Diesel
    Remember: Any fool can be uncomfortable.
    Denny

Default Because it is hard to answer.

Answering the question is difficult. How many pots are you going to pull at one time, how much do they weigh and what is the type of pot? I pull a string of five, so I have a 3.5 h.p. Briggs. and a gunnel mounted davit.

Pot weight including bait and shrimp is also hard to determine. Then you have to take into account the weight of the line and tide strength and how the lines on the pots are tied on. Yep, a diagonally tided pot offers more resistance in the water than one tied on a single end. More tide pulling on the pots, increases the weight too.

If I had the money to spend, bigger is probably better. Having more than enough power is always better than not enough.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

you could always use a double block & pulley to half the weight being pulled up by the 200lb model. It would be twice as slow as the puller but still would pick up the load. By the way make sure your davit will hold the weight your thinking of picking up & remember the boat will heel over more the longer the davit arm sticks out away from the boat.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692