Thread: Deer and Bear out of Valdez......

Default Deer and Bear out of Valdez......

Anyone know of any good areas out of Valdez to go black bear/deer hunting in August???? Me and some friends are looking at taking a boat out of there.

You could hear a pin drop as the tumbleweeds roll by.

This place is awful chatty until someone asks where to go.

---

How many of you and how big of boat? Whos driving and how much boat captian experiencs do they have?

I'll give the obvious answer and say if you went out of Whittier in a big enough boat you could deer hunt Montague and several closer islands for deer.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

I don't know specifics, but have heard often that Hinchinbrook Island produces good numbers of deer.

Check the regs before you go black bear hunting in PWS in August. August being the key word. http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/regul.../pdfs/gmu6.pdf

Default 2-3 people

We're going in either a 2 man group or a 3 man group. The boat size will be pretty large, and the ol captain has little experience in the Alaska region. I'm not expecting specific places, more like recommendations on gear and things of that nature.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfrun01 View Post
    We're going in either a 2 man group or a 3 man group. The boat size will be pretty large, and the ol captain has little experience in the Alaska region. I'm not expecting specific places, more like recommendations on gear and things of that nature.
    Bring good rain gear! Look for streams that enter the salt and watch them early in the morning and later in the afternoon till dark.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfrun01 View Post
    Anyone know of any good areas out of Valdez to go black bear/deer hunting in August???? Me and some friends are looking at taking a boat out of there.

If you're going out of Valdez I recommend buck hunting only (check the seasons in the regs).

Fuse

Wolf,

I would read those regs closly. Montague is a Resident only area for Brownies and Grizz so be careful there. Also im not sure if they would classify any other area a res only so I would check before running up a beach after a bear or deer.

I have hunted that area alot and its testy as to where is legal and not in some locations out past Snug Corner Cove and Two Moon Bay.

Default Bears are not open

Black bears are not open in 6D until Sept. 1st.

Brown bear does not open until Oct. 15th in 6D.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012