Thread: .45 Colt Pack Gun?

Default .45 Colt Pack Gun?

A lot of time shooting in bear counnty,has changed my mind about a old classic round the colt .45.My stepsons ruger single action with the new Buffalo bore 350 grain loads shocked me with the energy and knock down power,"yes it almost flew out of my hands with factory grips"But with after market grips it was managable.Being a avid reloader and with several experiments,my personal feelings are better with than without in a hot situation.And would compare it to Dick Casulls masterpiece.Is it my first choice,? No,but for you out there with a newer .45 colt that can handle the higher power factory ammo its a good choice.Any comments would be encouraged!

Default That's what I carry...

Granted, it's not "proven" at this point, but I have confidence that the hard cast 320s I'm shooting through it will do every bit as much damage as what a 44 will do. Mine's a Ruger Bisley that's been customized a little bit. It now has a 5.5" barrel, Bowen Rough Country rear sight, full length ejector rod housing, custom front sight, and a little bit of tuning.
    NRA Life Member, Prior F-16 crew chief.

Default I have been packin a Vaquero .45 LC for

about 10 yrs or so with Buffalo Bore 320 g. I slicked it up a bit and can shoot it purdy good....Haven't had to defend myself with it yet though...I have no doubt it's as good as any handgun as far as its ability to penetrate......

Default As good as .44? Hmmm

Yeah, a hotted up .45 Colt will perform as well as the .44 mag, but, that being said, I don't think the .45 Colt, as well as the .44 mag needs to be loaded to the highest degree to be efficient for bear protection. There are some of us who think that the maximum in velocity always makes a load better, but I don't. It is getting to be a well proven theory that too much velocity in some cases, will reduce effective penetration. I think that a load with a heavy, flat-nosed hardcast bullet in either a .44 mag or .45 Colt at around 1250 to 1275fps will do the job as well, if not a little better then the same projectile pushed past 1350 fps or so.
    The Rugers and T/Cs will handle the overmax loads of Buffalo Bore without coming apart, but I have personally seen several Rugers, including an old standby Super Blackhawk that, while still functional, were a lot looser and not as accurate because of a steady diet of super max loads.
    I still think that it is always wiser to use a cartridge meant to be and designed for magnum loadings, rather then try to make a magnum out of a cartridge not designed for it. The bottom line, of course, is that a gnarly critter hit PROPERLY with a .44 mag or a .45 Colt will never know the difference.

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

I have been shooting a 45 Colt for near on to 33 years now. Several years ago I started to load it with the Cast Performance 370 grain LFN GC over a healthy dose of H110.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I carry a 4 5/8" Ruger Vaquero in 45 colt and my loads are 310 gr Wheel Weight bullet quenched in water at about 800 fps with a modest charge of Unique. This is not a super hot load, but it is easy and pleasent to shoot. The "hot" loads jar my elbow too much and put my two lower fingers to sleep after a couple of shots so I "bagged" that plan and went with a load I can shoot quickly and accuratly and it should still have plenty of pennitration at close range.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Default I have put about 3000 rounds through my Vaquero

over the last few years and 18 of those were Buffalo Bore hot loads...

I really like my Anaconda 4" .45LC I have had a few of the S&W N frames and never felt I had a grip I could get a good hold of for double action shooting. and of course they were not as heavy built as the Colt. I had just read an article by Ross Seyfried in Guns and Ammo mag years ago about the .45 LC and heavy loads and the guns to use them in. The same loads can be found in the Hogdons Manual 26 th Edition, I bought a Lyman Gas Check mould 325 gr and really like it. It is the most powerful load I can shoot with speed and accuracy, It is quick to get back on target so shooting double action I can deliver a cylinder full of heavies on target fast a larger gun would mean slower hits= less hits. These loads are clean burning. I don't shoot a lot of them but I handle the gun about daily just to squeeze the grip and keep a strong hold. I did a lot of double action shooting with .22 S&W and .357 and a big bunch of pin shooting with the .45 Auto so I find that I retain that training with out a bunch of shooting now that I'm older. I love the way those heavy .45's take on a steel plate and send it flying. I take it Deer hunting and lay it beside me with a couple of rounds in it and it is good to go. I have not got a shot with it but I know exactly what it will do because My .357 and .44Mag already did it. I like the speed loaders for it and so it is a house gun too. When you smack something with the .45 it does not go unnoticed!! The single action guns are perhaps easier to carry and I used one for years but for quick loading and shooting I prefer the double action. I guess what you hit woulden't know the difference unless it was a poed bear wanting to break you then he may notice you have a double action with speed loader.(maybe) Enjoy your fine guns...

The couple of handguns that I carry in the woods. One is a raging bull 454 that I load down to 1350 fps with a 340 WFNGC. The other is a taurus tracker titanium 41 mag that I load 293 hardcast at 1075 fps or a 265 at 115 fps.

I used to have a 4/58" 41 mag blackhawk that I shot those 293's at 1275 fps. I finished of a moose with one of the 293's in the blackhawk and the bullet went under the brain pan and out the other side. That was about 8" of bone that it went through. I also shot a blacktail at 110 yards with one of the 293's also. At one time I could hit a 10" steel plate every other shot at 200 yards with that load.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Thumbs up

There ain't no flies on the 45 Colt...except it isn't the 45 Long Colt because there never was a short Colt. The was a 45 S&W which was shorter and could be fired in the 45 Colt chamber but there is only one 45 Colt and it is dandy.

I have a 4 5/8" Blackhawk, I have a 4 3/4" FA97, I have an S&W model 25 4" and I now have a new model Vaquero with a 4 5/8" and I want a Redhawk 5 1/2". My life is so empty.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by MToutdoorsman View Post
    Granted, it's not "proven" at this point, but I have confidence that the hard cast 320s I'm shooting through it will do every bit as much damage as what a 44 will do. Mine's a Ruger Bisley that's been customized a little bit. It now has a 5.5" barrel, Bowen Rough Country rear sight, full length ejector rod housing, custom front sight, and a little bit of tuning.

A 5 1/2" Bisley, you dirty dog, I don't have one of them. How do you like those sights aren't those great. I have a few of them.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default Not factory 5-1/2"...

It came with the 7-1/2" barrel but I opted to get it shortened up for carrying a little easier. The Rough Country sights were definitely a good addition too.

RE: the 5 1/2" Bisley w/ the Bowen Rough Country rear sight and custom front sight...
    Did they have to fill in the top strap? I'm just curious as I got mine basically as a cowboy gun, but I'm more interested in making it a good shooter than good looking. :-) Thanks.

To the best of my knowledge, there was no modification done to the top strap. I'm pretty sure the Bowen sight is basically a drop-in fit.

In 1995 Ross wrote that Bowen made a dropin sight and a larger one for gunsmith fitting to eliminate any play. Happy shooting