Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Canadians Okay--Military Prohibited

Default Canadians Okay--Military Prohibited

I've heard some rumors that Canadians can come across the border from Yukon and can purchase a resident license but an active military man visiting Alaska during the season and wishing to hunt must buy a non-resident license.

Can anyone verify or clarify this information for me?

Norm in Kenai

Take a look at the hunting regulations. From what I read, it says nothing about special rates for Canadians. It appears to me that Canadian residents would have to pay nonresident alien fees for hunting.

As for military personnel, nonresident military members must pay full non-res fees for their hunting license and half-price fees for big game tags.

I do recall hearing something along those lines for fishing, though I don't have that info on hand at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post

As for military personnel, nonresident military members must pay full non-res fees for their hunting license and half-price fees for big game tags.
    Not anymore Buckwheat!

SB 214.......TITLE: "An Act relating to big game hunting by nonresident members of the military service and their dependents; and providing for an effective date."

http://www.legis.state.ak.us/basis/g...14B&session=25

but of course they can not participate in PU fisheries till they have been here a year

OR hunt bears, sheep and goats until they have been here a year.

Which is ENTIRELY STUPID...........why not let them hunt bears and not moose or caribou until they have been here a year?

Never mind I Know why.......they are not qualified....they might get lost, they might get hurt.....they might shoot a sow or an non legal ram.....AND we have plenty of Moose and Caribou to go around! We are not in some kind of predator crisis really. Lets add a couple thousand guys out there hunting moose and caribou next year.

IT is so much easier to judge a 50" moose; no one is going to get lost or hurt hunting deer, black bear, caribou or moose..........

AND after all.........once they are here for a year they are all of a sudden capable of judging sheep and bears and no longer in danger of hurting themselves or getting lost or something terrible.

It is just so amazing how being here a year CHANGES EVERYTHING.

Poor military guys......they are so handicapped.

Buckwheat?

Anyhow, read the text of the link you provided. The title you put in quotes above is incorrect, as the link says it is an act related to "hunting licenses", not "big game hunting". It then goes on to state that resident rates apply to small game hunting (line 07), not big game (lines 10-13) .

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Buckwheat?

Anyhow, read the text of the link you provided. The title you put in quotes above is incorrect, as the link says it is an act related to "hunting licenses", not "big game hunting". It then goes on to state that resident rates apply to small game hunting (line 07), not big game (lines 10-13) .
    Buckwheat meaning a friendly greeting.....not meant to be offensive. And sorry if it came across that way.

Start here........

http://www.legis.state.ak.us/basis/get_bill.asp?session=25&bill=SB%20214

SB 214.......TITLE: "An Act relating to big game hunting by nonresident members of the military service and their dependents; and providing for an effective date."

Fine. Don't take my word for it.........contact your legislators or do your own research.

But just in case you dont and you just want to read the provided links Ask yourself this.........as a resident.............do I buy a moose tag, or a caribou tag, or a deer tag...or a black bear tag or a wolf tag??

It is very clear if you listen to the debate and the testimony on this bill.

The intent of the bill sponsor Mr. Charlie Huggins...caribou, moose, deer, black bears......military qualify as residents.

Didn't say that I didn't believe you, but the first link you provided didn't match what you said. Thanks for the clarification with the second link.

Not offended at all, by the way.

great.....I would not want to offend those who have power over me

Brian,
    Not to argue, but if you re-read the article, take out all the words in brackets, that is what the law will read. Bold and underlined is the new wording, removed wording is in brackets.
    From what I read, it looks like military members will no longer have to wait a year.
    Not sure were Avalanche figured no bears, you will just have to purchase a tag at the resident rate.

I may be totally off base with this, so if I am, please chime in to correct me.
    I did notice that this does not take effect till 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by akflyfisher View Post
    Not sure were Avalanche figured no bears, you will just have to purchase a tag at the resident rate.

Residents have to purchase a brown/grizzly tag, a sheep tag, and/or a goat tag.

The bill states:
    may not take a big game animal for which a tag is required

this means that the military and dependents are treated as
    nonresidents AND must be guided IF they want to hunt a big game animal for
    which a "resident" is required to have a tag.

Just thinking out loud.........but aren't there some
    registration/subsistence hunts for bears and sheep where
    tags are not required for residents???

I'm too lazy to look it up right now...

Default Found it....

http://www.boards.adfg.state.ak.us/g...rch08-summ.pdf

C 7-0 137 Reauthorize the current resident tag fee exemptions for brown bear in Region III.

Default Tags are required for ALL big game species

Not sure if I'm reading this correctly, but I do know that tags are required for all big-game species with very few exceptions (wolves in some areas, for example). It is true that residents don't have to pay for many tags, however a big-game tag is still required, and must be in your possession while hunting that species.

If this assessment is correct, then all this bill does is allow military members to hunt small game without having to purchase a nonresident hunting license.

Is there something I am not seeing here?

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by AVALANCHE View Post
    Residents have to purchase a brown/grizzly tag, a sheep tag, and/or a goat tag.

The bill states:
    may not take a big game animal for which a tag is required

this means that the military and dependents are treated as
    nonresidents AND must be guided IF they want to hunt a big game animal for
    which a "resident" is required to have a tag.

Just thinking out loud.........but aren't there some
    registration/subsistence hunts for bears and sheep where
    tags are not required for residents???

I'm too lazy to look it up right now...

To continue were you left off, please remember that words in brackets will be removed when the bill becomes law.

of this section without previously purchasing a
    numbered, nontransferable
    appropriate tag, issued at the resident rate,
    under (a)(16) [(a)(15)] of this section.

SO military members will have to purchase tags at the resident rate.

Reading this, I believe, if the bill has passed that military members will not have to wait the one year to hunt big game at the resident cost.

This debate all and good but it HAS NOT passed yet. The latest status of this bill is:
    03/18/08 2244 (S) REFERRED TO FINANCE

At this late time in the sessin and their on going arguement about the supplemental appropriations bill I hope but would not expect this to actually get voted on.

Hey Mike, resident tags are only required for brown/grizzly, and muskox. Harvest tickets, as opposed to resident tags, are not required for black bear.

Back to the original question, "an active military man visiting Alaska during the season and wishing to hunt must buy a non-resident license." An active service military member NOT stationed in Alaska but just visiting is considered a nonresident and must purchase a non resident license. The forementioned bill will have no effect on that. I personnaly have never heard of or can find any reference to Canadians being able to buy a resident license, tags or obtain haarvest tickets. I wonder if there is some type of subsistance provision between the feds and Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    Not sure if I'm reading this correctly, but I do know that tags are required for all big-game species with very few exceptions (wolves in some areas, for example). It is true that residents don't have to pay for many tags, however a big-game tag is still required, and must be in your possession while hunting that species.

If this assessment is correct, then all this bill does is allow military members to hunt small game without having to purchase a nonresident hunting license.

-Mike
    Are you confusing Harvest Tickets/Reports with Tags. The only Resident Tag I ever had to purchase was for Brown/Grizzly Bear. And now in many of the areas those are no longer required. It is way past time that these provisions be enacted.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post

-Mike
    Mike, there are areas where tags are not required, such as those with the liberal 1 or 2 per year qouta. Black bear do not require a tag either. I've attached a page from the regs as an example of the no tag requirement for Unit 20. Read the header where it says brown/grizzly bear.

Perhaps the confusion regarding Canadians comes from the reciprocity agreement between Alaska and Yukon Territory regarding fishing license fees.......residents of YT pay resident rate for AK fishing license and versa vica.....

Default Norm - Founder of the Michigan Militia?

Hey Norm,

Are you the Norm Olson who started the Michigan Militia? As a Michigander I remember reading that you were moving to AK. Nikiski I beleive. I saw another of your posts looking for 2000 .223 brass so a light went off.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan_Militia

of this section without previously purchasing a
    numbered, nontransferable
    appropriate tag, issued at the resident rate,
    under (a)(16) [(a)(15)] of this section.
    SO military members will have to purchase tags at the resident rate..
    And can hunt unguided for brown bear?

Reading this, I believe, if the bill has passed that military members will not have to wait the one year to hunt big game at the resident cost.
    And will not have to hunt sheep as a "guided" nonresident?

Why shouldn't they have to wait? Seems fair to me....I waited a year.

Sounds like the military folks still get a pretty good deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Skookumchuck View Post
    Why shouldn't they have to wait? Seems fair to me....I waited a year.

Sounds like the military folks still get a pretty good deal.
    I'm with you, Chuck. I waited a year as well. It was a period of learning.

I can just barely remember a little incident where a couple GI's drove their trucks out on the
    forbidden tundra and were stuck for something like a year.

I also remember a small discussion on this board where it was mentioned that the military members will be getting some extra training regarding Alaska laws and hunting conditions...

Hmmmmmmmm.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast