Thread: Tide / Anchoring Questions

Default Tide / Anchoring Questions

OK, so at the risk of sounding stupid or ill prepared I have a question in regards to the tide and anchoring during a bear hunt on POW in May. I do have some good experience handling boats in fresh water, and some salt water experience. Pretty much the only time I ever needed to worry about dealing with the tide, AND anchoring to go ashore was on a Kodiak Goat hunt a couple years ago. The skiff we rented on Kodiak, came equipped with a bungi cord system that allowed us to drop anchor in deep water, motor to shore, tie off a long line from the shore to the boat, and then let the bungi pull the boat back out to deep water. I am sure many of you are familiar with this system. It sure worked slick, and I felt very comfortable using it.

Now the skiff we have arranged to rent on POW does come with an anchor but not with the bungi system. So my question is, can someone give me some advice on how to handle the logistics of anchoring the boat along the shore when we get out to chase bears. I have lots of ideas on how to make this work, but wanted to run it by you guys to get the tried and true answer.

Thanks in advance for helping out a poor land lubber.......

Default Easy

Anchor a buoy,
    Rope tied to boat through buoy 2 times as long as the distance to buoy from shore.
    Motor to shore, pull rope to send boat back to buoy. Kinda like a clothes line with a pulley on the end.

Eagle River/ Juneau

put the anchor on deck where you can pull it off, push the boat really hard once it gets out far enough pull the rope attached to the anchor so the ancor falls in then tie off the rope.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    put the anchor on deck where you can pull it off, push the boat really hard once it gets out far enough pull the rope attached to the anchor so the ancor falls in then tie off the rope.
    Just curious, how would one get the boat back when ready to leave? Maybe pull the anchor to shore with the rope!

I have to add I am following this thread because I too will be at POW in May and have only a little fresh water boat experaince. I have learned enough to respect the tides.

Default easy

We use the same method as ak powder monkey. Here's a more detailed description:

Figure out how deep the water is going to be where you want to anchor the boat. Tie your anchor line off at that length, then coil it on the bow. Coil the chain on top of that and place the anchor on top. Now figure out how far that point is from a tie-off point on shore.

Take a second piece of rope at least that long and tie it off around the flukes of the anchor.

Beach your boat, and unload the gear. Hold tight to the second rope and push your boat back offshore. Allow the line in your hand to spool out till the boat drifts back to where you want it anchored.

Give a hard jerk on the rope to pull the anchor off the bow. When it hits bottom, walk back up the beach and tie off the rope in your hand to a secure tie down.

When you want to retrieve the boat, pull on the rope. With it tied off at the flukes, the anchor slides backwards across the bottom and is easy to retrieve, pulling the boat along with it.

Kodiak Is.

Default All Of The Above

Hi Dan
    If you choose the bouy and ring or pulley method do not pull the skiff all the way to the bouy as sometimes the wind will cause the skiff painter to wrap around the bouy and foul the line. The push off and jerk is a good system if the wind is not to strong on shore. For me if I had to bring in all the line and bouy and stuff I would just pick up about 75-100' of 1/2" bungey and some haulback line
    good huntin to ya. Say hi to Pops and Bro

Ketchikan, AK

Default Tide differential

Which ever method you use, don't forget our tide differential from a possible -4'+ to +20'. In addition make sure you use sufficient scope in your anchorage line.

More than once I've come across boats floating around a bay with the anchor dangling down. After rescuing the boats and finding the owners it was quite apparent they hadn't figured on the tide rising and lifting the anchor off the bottom.

Plan wisely!

Wasilla, Alaska, United States

Pulling the anchor off the bow works ok if you aren't in a rocky area. It sure sucks when you are trying to pull the anchor in and it hangs up on a rock when it is still in 20' of water!

We have always used a pulley system and it works great. You can set the anchor well and leave it alone for the entire trip. When you want the boat in, just pull the line and visa versa to send it back out to deeper water.

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Delta Jct.

Default Buy a Bun-gee?

I've used the bun-gee cord anchors on POW and they work pretty slick. Maybe just buy one and bring it with you. They aren't that big and bulky and might be a lot easier than the other methods. I don't know how much one costs though, so that might be an issue.

Default I agree

I've always used the anchor on the bow method. The real key thing to remember is to tie the shoreline around the flukes. And make sure that your shoreline is long enough to reach the tree line. If you just tie it to a rock or log on the beach it might not be dry when you get back to the boat. If you can work the tides right you can try to go to the beach during the incoming, this way you can just get the boat anchored a little off the beach to prevent waves from banging it around and run the line up to a tree. If you find yourself anchoring on the outgoing tide make sure it's a farely steep beach. You can push the boat as far as you want on a mud flat and it's still only a couple feet deep. If you find yourself high and dry you can either wait out the tide, or you might ask a few people for the best method to push a boat along the beach.

Default mushroom anchor

I have found if you use a 'mushroom' anchor with the anchor on the bow method ... it don't hang up very often .... even in very rocky or steep cliff type bottoms ....

Have you checked the tide book as to how the tides will be during your hunt.

You don't have to worry on the flood tide .....

Most rentals do not have the USCG required safety gear ... make sure you got everything ....

Sometimes when caught 'high & dry' I have used the Egyptian method of finding some small slick beach logs and working the skiff back to the water. Aluminium sticks like Velcro to the beach and sometimes you just must wait for water.

Default anchorage drawing

Trick is to keep the rope from hanging up on any thing and use 3 rings NOT 2, good point with the mushroom anchor. pull boat and anchor only problem could be anchor hangs up. done it this way 100 times 80-90% of the time boats floating in and out with the tide 20 feet from water line.
    I attached a copy of the drawing in a thread """Dude, where's my skiff? """
    So this site wouldn't let me do it again, ???????