Thread: ATV Insurance?!

Default ATV Insurance?!

Do people generally insure their 4-wheelers? I would be interested to know who offers the best rates in AK. Geico doesn't offer it up here yet, and I've got a quote coming from the same company that we've got our home owners ins. I was thinking that a $500 or $1000 comprehensive deductible along with the liability might be a good thing.

I keep insurance on mine. Handy to have when someone decides to borrow it without asking. Also nice to have in case it gets totaled. Mine runs $238.30 a year for full coverage through State Farm. The cost is cheap for peace of mind on a 7K machine.

Default ditto Crumm.

We are insured also. We pay Allstate about what you pay S.F.
    It beats someone stealing them and then being out many thousands. Not to mention the possibility of rollong one down Chicken ridge etc...stuff happens.

Although I do not insure mine for full coverage I do insure it for Liability. I think St Farm charges me $30 a year for 100,000 in coverage. This way if I ever hit someone or crash into there machine I am covered.

Default liability....

Many dont worry about liabiltiy on a wheeler--although some should.
    Personally, our contact with others and personal property when riding is seldom at best. Trailering (wheeler falling off etc.) could be another concern, but that would fall under one's trailer coverage.
    Theft, however, is a real concern everywhere. Especially with machines nearing $10K.
    Theft would require comprehensive, hence the "full" coverage.

Thanks for the info. I am being recruited to help retrieve a wheeler for a friend of a friend. He rolled his new Rincon 400' down a mountain....gots me thinking bout coverage.

pedro, if you value your investment you will purchase insurance. For my Brute Force it runs me $250 a year with a $250 deductable. I watched a friend hit dead on with a solid object which caused almost $4000 in damage to his machine, the insurance company picked up the tab. This made me decided to cover my atv, I skipped the liability though. Last winter I ran into a tree and tore off an a-arm and did almost $3000 in damage. After a few setbacks the insurance company picked up the tab. Well worth the $250 if you ask me.

I know of a few people that I suggested insurance to. They laughed and shrugged it off. Guess what happened to them, they totaled their machines without being covered. Total loss on their part.

When you pay $7000 for these machines $250 a year gives you a small piece of mind when you are climbing that nasty hill to get to moose camp.

Default Insurance

I insure my two Polaris Sportsman 500's through Progressive for $292 a year.

Default A one time shot...

Problem is... Initially, coverage may be $250 or so a year, but once you have a claim of any sort (I have found) it sky rockets. A friend insured his snowmachine and wrecked it, causing $1,600 in damage. His rates went from $200 a year to over $800. He looked around for another company and couldn't find one that would give him a break since he had made a claim.

Looks to me like it is only worth it until you have your first wreck. Personally I don't have my machines insured. I like Snowwolfe's idea of just liability though.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Be nice to have all the machines in the yard insured for full coverage but sometimes economics prohibits it. Coverage for 3 ATV's and 3 Snow mobiles can add up fast.
    What we have saved in premiums in the years is more than enough to buy a new machine at todays prices, but still, it would be comforting to have full coverage.
    Liability is the absolute mininum to carry. If you roll a machine and it lands on someone else or hits there equipment, you are covered. I certaintly wouldnt want to suck up a $7,500 loss if I wrecked one of our own. I couldnt suck up $100,000 claim due to medical damages, etc. if I hit or damaged something else. This is especially true for snow mobiles with there higher speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Spongebob
    I insure my two Polaris Sportsman 500's through Progressive for $292 a year.
    I too use Progressive for a '94 Big Bear and a 2001 Wolverine, and pay $139.00. However, it's not full coverage since the machines are long paid for.

After my one claim my premium did not change, but I run two vehicles a house and some other stuff through the same insurance company. They have always been good to me.

Question Sheesh!!!

I just want to know how you guys are getting off so cheap on insurance. I bought a new Honda Foreman this summer and 3 different companies wanted more than $500 a year, i finally settled on Allstate for $238 for 6 months. I have a good driving record, maybe it's cuz it's brand new?

Default Need to think at least about theft

I know a guy who had 2 stolen including his trailer, they were never recovered. Leaving he to still pay the full payments. It was alot more than a couple hundred of dollars he would of paid for insurance. I paid insurance for about 3 years until I at least paid mine off. Something to think about.

Terry

Thumbs down theft...

you are right Terry. Its the reason I've always sprung for the coverage on the quads.
    Bumaquad, something is up. There is no reason the quotes you are getting should be so high. Are you sure you havent any prior or excessive claims? We almost always have paid about $500 combined a year for two late model Yamis--full coverage--thats all that Allsnakes, er... Allstate offers.
    Look around you can do much better.

fk

Same here, around $200 a yr on a Rhino at State F. I carry it for replacement cost coverage if it gets totaled while trailering, or off road, my fault or someone elses.

kurt

Look at Markel. They offer a discount for multiple machines/bikes and a discount for a safety course. Cheapest I have found.