Thread: GMU 12 Moose Hunt

Default GMU 12 Moose Hunt

A friend of mine wants to come up and hunt moose in '09 and I am starting to research places to hunt. Has anyone hunted the Tok river drainage area of Unit 12?
    If you have what's the terrian like, possiblity of connecting and are there any land ownership issues we may have to deal with?
    I am planning on a scouting trip this summer to survey the area and want to thank everyone in advance for any advice on this area.

The area looks good on a map but there is a lot of private land in and along the drainage and boardering the highway. This creates a problem for you as tresspass for hunting generally is not allowed. You will have company around the accessible spots & trailheads. Moose population isn't the greatest either but they are there. Lots of grizzily to add to your enjoyment. Yes you had better scout it ahead of time as it is an area that is tough to come in cold to hunt due to the afore mentioned restrictions.

As mentioned, a good bit of private land in that area. Low moose densities in GMU 12.

I hunted the area over 40 years ago before all the private land. I can tell you itís not an easy area to hunt. If you do your home work and hunt like your starving you will see legal moose. Getting one will depend on your skill and luck. If I lived in Tok I would be hunting the area. As far as low moose numbers in GMU 12, their talking about the whole area, if you know where to look and when, you will find moose.

Default low moose #'s

The moose on whole are down in unit 12 and 20E. Good luck finding a moose. I believe you will be hunting in the antler restricted area with 50" and 3 or 4 (?) brow tines.