Thread: Bear Baiting Near Rivers...

Default Bear Baiting Near Rivers...

In the regs handbook, it says you cant set up a bait station "on the shorelines" of the Big and Little Susitna rivers "south of the Parks highway bridge." This applies to several other rivers in the area.
    The question is, how far off the bank do you need to be to be considered not on the shoreline? Is it 10 yards? 25 yards? 100 yards? 1/4 mile?
    I plan on hunting getting into 16A by boat and need to know how I should set up to be legally safe. Any precedent thats already been established would be great to know. Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by highestview View Post
    In the regs handbook, it says you cant set up a bait station "on the shorelines" of the Big and Little Susitna rivers "south of the Parks highway bridge." This applies to several other rivers in the area.
    The question is, how far off the bank do you need to be to be considered not on the shoreline? Is it 10 yards? 25 yards? 100 yards? 1/4 mile?
    I plan on hunting getting into 16A by boat and need to know how I should set up to be legally safe. Any precedent thats already been established would be great to know. Andrew.

I don't know if it is only the predator control premit or all baiting but the pred permit shows 300 ft.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Its in the regs - you just have to read them a bit more - the answer is there, I've seen it.

If you listen to any advice you get here and get popped - just tell them Brownshirts the folks on the forums told you the answer and I'm sure they will let you go.

Default 1/4 Mile

Go to F&G and get a copy of the bear baiting handout that they give out. I am pretty sure it says you must be 1/4 mile of the Little Su and Big Su. The handout is must read for anyone going baiting as there are lots of ways to break the law. If you call the troopers for an opinion on any F&G regulation make sure you make a record of the telephone conversation. Who did you talk to, what date, what time, and of course what information they gave you.

Post 1/4 Mile (440 yards) or 300 ft in Unit 16

Page 27 of the Hunting Regs...
    Here's a link to the four pages dedicated to bear hunting rules:

http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/regul...pdfs/bear1.pdf

Predator control for unit 16 is a bit different...
    300 feet, Page 2 of the Predator Control Supplement:

http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/regul...or_control.pdf

Have a good one!

Lightbulb Call ADF&G

Quote Originally Posted by AKHUNTINFOOL View Post
    f you call the troopers for an opinion on any F&G regulation make sure you make a record of the telephone conversation. Who did you talk to, what date, what time, and of course what information they gave you.
    Understand; generally speaking, the folks at ADF&G will answer questions that can be responded to in a YES or NO fashion. And they prefer NO.

Most folks forget that Alaska is equivelent to about nine states... and not nine of the little NorthEast states.
    With that immense real-estate comes some really convoluted, sometimes confusing regulations.

The way I look at it -- when I plan to hunt or fish in an area outside my comfort zone... it's like driving to a new state to hunt or fish - I have to read the regs for that area - with one BIG benefit; I didn't have to buy an out of state license!!

My two cents...