Thread: Winter King Set Up's

Default Winter King Set Up's

I just received an invite to take part in the Homer Derby this weekend and I'm hoping somebody can give me some ideas of a few basic set ups.
    We will be using down riggers and I am thinking coyote spoons, hootchies and cut plug herring might be a few to start with.
    So Flashers or Dodgers?
    How long of leaders and what test?
    And can somebody explain this side betting thing to me?

Thanks in advance
    RD

Quote Originally Posted by Road Dog View Post
    We will be using down riggers and I am thinking coyote spoons, hootchies and cut plug herring might be a few to start with.
    So Flashers or Dodgers?
    How long of leaders and what test?...
    I think it's funny that some folks swear by a given length of leader... "Gotta be 24" exactly, and you've got to troll it at 1.8 knots!" The leader length will create a faster or slower; bigger or smaller action on the bait/lure depending what it's being dragged behind. For my particular setup (if you've seen it) I start with a 22" leader, but quickly cut that down to 18" and even 14-16" as spring progresses... that's all with the same sized flasher dragging ahead.

For leader test, anything in the 20 - 50# range will do, but keep common sense in mind - lighter leaders need to be replaced with every fish or nick in the lead, heavier leaders will last longer, but they're usually more "stiff" and affect the action of the bait differently than a nice fine, limp leader. I'm partial to the Gamakatsu 30# mooching rigs, but I've had good luck with Jinkai 40# leader material too...

Basically, I try not to pay too much attention to the specifics of length, weight, etc... but DO BE SURE to test your action at the side of the boat before putting down... for winter kings, think big, slow, gently rolling stuff. Oh, and don't forget to try mooching that cut plug if it's not working on the troll...

Good Luck!
    -Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I agree with CanCanCase totally. But, do remember, use anything kind of lure you want on the end of you setup, as long as it is green. I don't know why kings like green so dang much, but they really do.

Taku kings seem to like white too...

But yeah, it all goes back to the basic rule I learned in Florida... match your gear color to the water color. Down there, blue was the hot color for kingfish, wahoo, dorado, etc. Blue gear in blue water, green gear in green water. At least anecdotally, it's true!

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I sport fish for kings all winter and I have success. The reality is that kings during the winter are very hungry and they will eat just about anything you drag in front of them. Finding them is really tough though. Being able to read your fishfinder is the most important thing IMO.

Have a good selection of hoochies tied up, coyote spoons, baited hoochies, and bait busters and go rock and roll. When I get bored I start switching things up for something to do, but it never seems to make a difference during the winter. When you find the fish, you'll catch.

Thanks for all the good information.
    Unfortunately they canceled the derby for today and the boat I was to go on can't go tomorrow.
    All geared up and no place to go.

RD