Thread: suggestions on enclosing my crawlspace

Default suggestions on enclosing my crawlspace

I should be to this point in the near future, so I need advice.

Here's a little background information.

I built up the pad site with 2' of #3 pitrun.

The cabin (20x24) is on sonotubes, 4' from the bottom of the floor joists to the pad.

Thanks!

Ken

Hey Ken. Your local hardware man here

There are several ways that folks around here do it. It would be best to wait for summer, though. You can simply frame between each sono-tube with a 2x6 treated lumber wall and insulate it with Insulfoam or Dow blueboard. Sheet the outside with 1/2" treated plywood. Connect the top plate with the bottom of your floor joists and dig down 6" to a foot around the base for the bottom plate, then back fill against it a little ways up. I highly suggest you vapor barrier the ground surface under the house to cut down on the moisture that collects in the crawl space.

Another thing to be concerned with with sonotube supports is the eventual possibility of leaning in the future. Did you use some sort of base on the tubes or are they just stuck in and poured? If there is a footer under them like a Bigfoot you are usually O.K. How deep are the tubes vs. how much sticks up?

By attaching the skirting wall to the sonotubes with drill-in concrete anchors you can accomplish both a sheer wall to fight possible lean in the future and seal in the foundation.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Hey Ken. Your local hardware man here

There are several ways that folks around here do it. It would be best to wait for summer, though. You can simply frame between each sono-tube with a 2x6 treated lumber wall and insulate it with Insulfoam or Dow blueboard. Sheet the outside with 1/2" treated plywood. Connect the top plate with the bottom of your floor joists and dig down 6" to a foot around the base for the bottom plate, then back fill against it a little ways up. I highly suggest you vapor barrier the ground surface under the house to cut down on the moisture that collects in the crawl space.

Another thing to be concerned with with sonotube supports is the eventual possibility of leaning in the future. Did you use some sort of base on the tubes or are they just stuck in and poured? If there is a footer under them like a Bigfoot you are usually O.K. How deep are the tubes vs. how much sticks up?

By attaching the skirting wall to the sonotubes with drill-in concrete anchors you can accomplish both a sheer wall to fight possible lean in the future and seal in the foundation.

Hope this helps.
    What you've put here was kind of my plan.

Then I talked to a guy that told me that "framing up" was a waste of material (& $$$$) and to make panels of 2x2's and AW plywood with blueboard. So, that led to my question here.

Here's the deal with my tubes. They are on roughly 17' OC along the 20' width. So, there are inside the perimeter of the cabin by 1'6".

Yes, the tubes have footers under them and they are 10 - 12' deep (which is about where the "real" gravel layer begins on my lot).

My plan was to wait for summer.

Seems some days like it'll be here sooner than what the calendar tells me.

With the footers you shouldn't have much trouble with leaning. You are good to go on that.

Blue board or Insulfoam are only R4 to R5 per inch. I personally don't think that 2" is enough. I prefer to use 4". With that in mind you could use 2x4 framing and you would just have 1/2" of foam sticking out of the framing towards the inside and get an R20 wall. Remember, that your rim joists and the ends of the joist bays also will need good insulation if you haven't done that yet.

Default Doug is right on

Great adive Doug.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    With the footers you shouldn't have much trouble with leaning. You are good to go on that.

Blue board or Insulfoam are only R4 to R5 per inch. I personally don't think that 2" is enough. I prefer to use 4". With that in mind you could use 2x4 framing and you would just have 1/2" of foam sticking out of the framing towards the inside and get an R20 wall. Remember, that your rim joists and the ends of the joist bays also will need good insulation if you haven't done that yet.
    If I frame it up, no worries with any heaving?

I thought I'd be ok framing it up and that heaving wouldn't be an issue. It's an un heated crawlspace, but I still didn't think I have a heaving issue.

But the guy that told me the quasi "sips" like panels told me that I needed to allow a slip joint for heaving.