Thread: King of the Mountain Wool

Default King of the Mountain Wool

I thought I would ask the people with legitimate experience in Alaska. I have been looking at different types of cothing for hunting/packing. king of the Mountain looked like a good option, but I wanted to see how it performed in AK. Everywhere from mountains to swamp. Any reviews welcome. Especially interested in layering ability, quietness, wind proofness, drying, and of course comfort and warmth. Any reviews from bowhunters especially welcome. If there is another thread on this forgive my ignorance.

I have the omnilite pants and liked them but synthetics are better. Wool in general is warm and quiet but it sucks when it gets wet. It gets really heavy and takes a while to dry out. As for weatherproofness it is actually better than most synthetics, due to the thickness of the material, but once it gets wet it stays wet but at least it keeps you warmer than denim or cotton. Omnilites are the way to go if you want to be able to layer.

I have used my omnilites for a two week fall hunt on Kodiak Island, two weeks in the Yukon in August as well as extensive use in the winter down here in Alberta (in the same year). I layered up or down depending on the weather. They are great IMHO.