Thread: Sending Fish Home

Default Sending Fish Home

OK, let say I catch a lot of fish (i'm optimistic) what is the best and least expensive way to send the fish back to the lower 48?

I realize that this may be off the subject matter of fishing so, administrator, please diect me accordingly if needed.

Thanks

vacuum packed, frozen, and in #50 boxes/coolers you can take 2 per person on the plane.
    just pack up your other stuff and mail or ship it...

fedex next day is the other way, iirc it is about $1.60/lb.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    vacuum packed, frozen, and in #50 boxes/coolers you can take 2 per person on the plane.
    just pack up your other stuff and mail or ship it...

fedex next day is the other way, iirc it is about $1.60/lb.
    Thanks Dave, we will be staying with relatives near Homer in Anchor Point. I am going to check on the dry ice issue with the airlines, I hear some are touchy about it.

Quote Originally Posted by OCCCW View Post
    I am going to check on the dry ice issue with the airlines, I hear some are touchy about it.
    There's no need for dry ice. If the fish are well frozen, they'll keep themselves cold plenty long enough. We've traveled for over 20 hours with frozen fish and ended in tropical climates without any significant thawing. We just wrap the frozen, vacuum packed fish in a few sheets of newspaper and pack it tightly in a box (or even just a suitcase). Never had a problem.

don't even bother with dry ice, just put your whole icechest in a deep freeze the night before you leave. lots of hotels up here have freezers too., coal point in homer will likely do that for you. frozen to -20 it won't thaw.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

I Tell Our Clients Fish Is Like Gold...take It To Coal Point They Do A Great Job And Its Shipped To Your Door...

Default Cheap insurance

Dry ice is cheap insurance, most airlines allow 2-4 lbs per cooler and I recommend it if your not on a direct flight home, had a customer take 2 days to get his coolers and his fish was still lightly frozen, without the dry ice, who knows.
    Frank
    Alaska Wildrose Charters and Cabins
    www.wildroselodge.com

The last time I checked, it is STILL illegal to use dry ice to pack fish and put on a plane. It thaws to a gas and that is not legal to put on a passenger plane. Don't tell them and get caught, they told me there would be one hell of a fine to pay. You might be able to if is a cargo plane. Like some of the others here have said, I just pack mine frozen hard in a cooler that weighs less then 50 pounds. That will give you a good 24 hours and still be frozen hard.
    Last edited by Alaskan Fly Guy; 03-18-2008 at 15:51. Reason: spelling

Just checked with American and they allow up to 5lbs, but, you have to tell the gate or ticketing agent and they charge you a $40.00 Bull$#%T fee whether it's carried on or checked. Hope there is a lot of salmon in July!

Thanks for all the input guys!

your first two checked bags or boxes can be 50 lb you will be charged per lb over 50. your extra box will be $50 but it can be up too 75 lb. you may wont to call alaska air to conferm this but thats what I was told last fall.

Quote Originally Posted by OCCCW View Post
    Just checked with American and they allow up to 5lbs, but, you have to tell the gate or ticketing agent and they charge you a $40.00 Bull$#%T fee whether it's carried on or checked. Hope there is a lot of salmon in July!

Thanks for all the input guys!
    Dry ice i mean

My parents flew out of here on Delta Airlines last year. Took a cooler with them that weighed about 68 pounds, and counted it as one of their carry on bags. It cost them an extra $25 for the weight over 50 lbs., but the airline said it could not be over 75. So they basically paid $25 to take an extra 18 lbs. of salmon and halibut home with them. Pretty good deal.

I think we had a small block of dry ice in there, but can't recall for sure. I know I've taken coolers out of here with a couple pounds of it in there though.

Northern Air Cargo ships all over the country at good rates and puts the fish in the freezer on delivery I believe
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Mail it.....

I pick up a cooler anytime I see one for $5 or less at a G-sale (maybe I'll stop my shed is getting full)

Pack it with vaccum sealed frozen fish as has been previously advised........and express mail it

My 2 cents I think the commercial grade V-sealing is way better than what I can do with my food saver

The post office will tell you the best time to drop it off

I used to ship mine to the midwest and my parents told me it was frozen rock solid every time

I think the weight limit is 70 pounds...... not sure what the cost is these days
    used to be right around $70 but I'm sure that's gone up

Default Fisherman's friend...

Last but not least, don't forget your duct tape!

Seal the edges of your interior box and then band it. Drop it in the exterior cardboard, and then band that one too.

I always check my additional fish boxes with me, and in my experiences that is the cheapest and most assured way of having it arrive with you. I have yet to lose one in over 20 years...

http://www.alaskanauthor.com

Don't know how reliable this info is, but the last time we packed some home on the airplane from Sitka we were told that such readily identifiable baggage as the 50lb fish boxes has a tendency to get lost rather frequently.

My wife had to call the airline (who maintained at first its whereabouts was unknown) several times before her missing fish box finally showed up at 3AM.

I think I'd ship it.
    Richard Cook
    New Moon (Bounty 257)
    "Cruising in a Big Way"

Default we checked it

We wnt last August and checked it. We bought fish boxes and bought a single gell pack and 24 hours later in Boston they were still hard as rock. We didnt experience any isuues and Alaska Airline is pretty well rehearsed with people doing this. They are right you were allowed I think it was 4 pounds of dry ice but the coolers or boxes needed to be properly ventilated and you need to tell them when you check it.

Best of luck
    ο
    ο
    <Θ(()))><

There's a short article in this month's STS about this very topic. I've shipped my clothes in coolers going in, dumped the clothes, and had empty cooler space to pack full of whatever on the way out... (or dump the jeans and Red Dog shirts when leaving Russia to make room for vodka!)

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Default Sun Country

Last summer, on my return flight to Minneapolis, my suitcase weighed 72 lbs. and my cooler of frozen salmon and halibut weighed 54. I threw a couple gel packs in the cooler before strapping and duct taping, and there was no thawing when I opened it up 11 hours later. Suprisingly, I wasn't charged for having heavy bags, even though they slapped an overweight ticket with the weight listed on my bag.

As far as losing a fish box. The only thing related that I saw was at the baggage claim with 2 guys arguing over a box. Make sure you label your stuff well.

Next time I head to Alaska, my wife will be coming with. Hmmm.... 2 more checked bags/coolers.

Its cheaper to mail your clothes home and take your fish on the plane. I have done that several times.