Thread: Tikka Factory Rings

Thumbs down Tikka Factory Rings

Any of you been having problems with the Tikka factory rings? I shot my T3 Lite 30-06 today, and wasn't too happy. I installed the rings as per instructions with the head of the base screw to the right. This puts the recoil pin to the rear of the front ring. After my groups started drifting I pulled the scope and found a couple things. First, the front base had managed to work itself loose, plus the scope was sliding in the rings. Worse, the recoil pin is starting to shear through the ring out the rear of the ring base. I turned the rings around (head of screw to left) and reinstalled and tightened as much as I dared...one screw starting to round out the head. I'm going to give it one more try, but will probably swap out to something else. I wish Tikka would supply the original Optilock rings rather than these cheap ones they are supplying now.

What have you guys been using for lightweight rings and bases on the Tikka besides factory issue?

Anyway, just thought I'd share my experience and wondering if anyone else is having the same issues.

By the way, that 30-06 with 180gr Partitions at about 2600fps kicks about twice as much as my Howa 338 with 225gr TSX at 2600fps. Ouch!

Oh yeah, I'm not happy with the stock on the Tikka either. Way too slippery. I really like my Hogue Overmolded that I've got on the Howa; it has a much better feel.

-JR

Default Talleys

I haven't bought any yet, but many on this forum have told me to get the Talley one piece mount. Check it out.

http://www.talleyrings.com/lightweight.php

Seems to me there has been at least one prior thread last year about the same problem - suggest you search the archives for others' experience and solutions.

Default Tikka Rings

When I bought my Tikka .300 WM last week from boondocks they stronger suggested that I get Talley rings as opposed to going with the standard Tikka rings. Seems like cheap insurance if there is a known issue going around with their rings.

I had the same problem with my Tikka T3 Lite in .338 The recoil pin sheared all the way through the base after about 10 rounds through the gun. I swapped them out with the Talley one piece base and rings. Haven't had a problem since and never looked back. In fact I bought another set of Talley's last week from Boondocks to go on my Howa .243. Great rings in my opinion!

TIKKA rings used to be made by Millet and were therefore junky.

I took one look at the Tikka rings that came with the Whitetail Hunter in 3006 and promptly bought Weaver Bases and rings. They work just fine. The Millets lok iffy as well. the Weavers have worked good on several hunting rifles I own to incldue a 375. The work good on one of my bolt target guns to mount the scope on and off easily when swithcing out. Always have got on the paper at long range with those.

Get some Talley one piecers and dont look back!

Default Another vote for Talley...

I had issues with the factory supplied ones on a 270. The Talley's are light and durable and I highly recommend them. I've used them on non-magnums and on 264 Win mag without any issues.