Thread: Bullet puller for 300 wsm

Default Bullet puller for 300 wsm

First of all, thanks to all who post. I've gotten a great deal of info on this forum. I started reloading for a 300 wsm 2 yrs ago and have found that some equipment just isn't made for those short fat cases. I'ts getting better now though. I did just discover today that the RCBS bullet puller (hammer) will work for the 300 wsm and any other cartridge. Just put the case in the shell holder (either for the press or for the lee case trimmer), turn it upside down, and put it in the puller. Works great and no more headaches for me. Maybe this has been said before but i just discovered it today. So if i'm just dense and people have been doing it forever, jokes on me!! Hope this helps.

Default Magnum Chuck for WSM

They also make a 3 piece magnum chuck insert that is designed for the "Pow'r Pull" hammer. It's about $7 at SW.

Default It Works

The RCBS impact bullet pullers are the least expensive of the bullet pullers and work fairly well. They will however annoy the wife and family to no end if used a great deal.
    The better choice might be a collet style bullet puller. You just need one puller body and then purchase a collet in the callibers you reload. The puller body goes into the reloading press just like a reloading die. If your press will load it; it will unload it. The collet is tightened around the bullet and the bullet is removed from the case as the ram is lowered. Fast and quiet, without damaging the nose of the bullet your pulling.
    If the finances allow, this is my bullet puller of choice. Enjoy loading !!
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by Double Shovel View Post
    They also make a 3 piece magnum chuck insert that is designed for the "Pow'r Pull" hammer. It's about $7 at SW.
    The tech specs on the magnum chuck insert say "through 45-70", which to me means "through 45 caliber or so". Will a 500 S&W case fit into the magnum chuck insert?

Thanks,

Brian

Default Haven't tried....

anything past a 300 WSM case, sorry. It did appear that it had more room to work with though (without checking, I'm not sure what the dia. of the 500 S&W case is).

Best,

DS

Quote Originally Posted by tananaBrian View Post
    The tech specs on the magnum chuck insert say "through 45-70", which to me means "through 45 caliber or so". Will a 500 S&W case fit into the magnum chuck insert?

Thanks,

Brian

Default TananaBrian

Found the dimensions in another thread. It looks as though the 500 S&W case has is a smaller diameter than the WSM case, so, the Magnum Chuck insert for the Power Puller should work just dandy.

DS

Good call!

Case diameter of a 500 S&W:
    Straight cylinder, 0.530"
    Rim, 0.560"

Case diameters of a 300WSM:
    Tapered, 0.555" down to 0.538"
    Rim, 0.535"

Getting the 500 S&W's rim through the collet might be tough, but you're not supposed to do that! I'll pick up a magnum collet for the chuck on the way home. Thanks!

Hey ...looky there! Just got a response from RCBS too:

"We do have a magnum chuck assembly 9416 that is for the 500 s & w and
    winchester short mags - if you purchase the extra chuck it should work
    for a 50 caliber pistol (.500) but nothing larger. We do have press
    mounted bullet pullers for larger calibers, but they would most likely
    marr the soft lead bullets. I will send a catalog for your review."

Brian

Smile RCBS Collet puller

I have a RCBS collet puller (P/N #9440) that works great. It just threads into the top of the press like any die after you insert the proper collet (.30, .35, .45, etc.). Then you simply run the round up into the die, tighten the collet on the bullet and pull up hard on the press handle. The bullet stays in the collet and you have a case with out a bullet. Simple, fast, and a little less noisy than the old inertia hammer!! LOL