Thread: Handloading for Tubular Magazine

Default Handloading for Tubular Magazine

I realize the requirement of RN or FP bullets when hand loading for rifles that use a Tubular Magazine and the Why of it.

Would Hollow Points work as well?

Browsing through Midway USA for .308 bullets to use in my 30-30 and 308 Marlin Express I came across these. Sierra Game King 165gn Hollow Point.

Would the Hollow Point be flat enough to NOT set off a Primer ahead of it?
    I would think that it would not be flat enough on smaller calibers like .223 or .224 but perhaps it is enough on larger calibers.

?????????????

Default good question

I'm not sure if it would be big enough not to set off the primer. However, It takes quite a bit of force to set of a primer,(so if it didn't) with a hollow point I think I'd be worried about that force distorting the bullet. Not sure that would make much difference though. Also, I have found that with my lever gun, a Marlin in 30-30, the ogive on some of these bullets doesn't allow you to seat the bullet far enough into the case and you have to shoot them single shot anyway. FWIW.

Thumbs down

I once knocked a partial box of military 45 ACP hardball off my bench onto the hardwood floor. These round nosed, blunt pumpkin ball bullets loose in this box all aligned up exactly right to cause one round to go Kaboom! Nobody hurt, it just ruptured the case and scattered the box over the floor with a few fragments of brass here and there. I'm glad I had my boots on. The imprint on that primer was just as the round nose of those blunt bullets.

So from this I'd say do not put the Sierra hollow point in the magazine with other loads. Also I've seen one 30-30 Marlin tube and forend destroyed by Remington factory 150 grain round nosed hollow point bullets. Set off one round under the forend. Lots of splinters and a ruptured tube, no body hurt. I don't think Remington loads those loads anymore.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post

So from this I'd say do not put the Sierra hollow point in the magazine with other loads. Also I've seen one 30-30 Marlin tube and forend destroyed by Remington factory 150 grain round nosed hollow point bullets. Set off one round under the forend. Lots of splinters and a ruptured tube, no body hurt. I don't think Remington loads those loads anymore.

YIKES! Perhaps FN is best if not sure.
    As far as hollow points go the Barnes 150gn TSX FlatNose is specifically made for the 30-30 Tubular Magazine. The opening of the Hollow Point is nearly as large as a LR Primer.

I can't see any reason why it couldn't be used in the 308 Marlin as well.

Default Alternative

NOSLER makes a 170 grain round nosed Partition which would work in the 307-308 tubular magazine rifles. This would allow a premium bullet to be used.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by TYBSP View Post
    YIKES! Perhaps FN is best if not sure.
    As far as hollow points go the Barnes 150gn TSX FlatNose is specifically made for the 30-30 Tubular Magazine. The opening of the Hollow Point is nearly as large as a LR Primer.

I can't see any reason why it couldn't be used in the 308 Marlin as well.
    I'm sure that any bullet designed for the tube magazine of the 30-30 will work for the 308 MX on the same platform. These include round nose, falt nose and hollowpoints with a broad flat nose and I suppose now the leverevolution soft tips. One of the best bullets for it is the 170 grain FP Sierra pro hunter. The added extra velocity of the 308 Marlin will help the effectiveness of this bullet. Also, as has been mentioned, the 170 partition may be a good choice with a little extra mph.

I fail to see the thinking of trying to use a spitzer, even a soft plastic spitzer in a lever rifle regardless of caliber. I think the ballistic advantage of spitzer bullets over round nose or flat point at 2500 fps and less is totally non existant and an exercise in futility. This consideration is from the hunter's perspective, under field conditions, given the range and accuracy capabilities of the rifle. You may be able to calculate a difference in bullet drop but it is so small that even an expert marksman could not make use of it. This should not take away from you trying any and every bullet that will work safely through the action. And if the bullet has an accuracy edge or a performance level you want then go for it but to use a bullet just because it drops 3/4" less at 200 yards (on paper) than a proven effective bullet, is a waste of the rifles dwell time.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I literally have about a dozen different 30/30 bullets in the cabinet, and all are flat point. The “pointiest” if that is a real word, is the Speer then Sierra, Winchester, Remington, and Hornady as the “flattest” so to speak. I have tried loading 150 gr spitzers for my Savage 25 but in order to get them to feed from the little clip, the bullet must be seated really deep into the case…………with the ogive of the bullet below the case rim. Not a good idea. There are so many tried and true, time proven bullets designed for the 30/30 that I personally wouldn’t spend too much time trying to re-invent the wheel on this one. Go with a flat point or flat point / hollow point and you will be in good shape in my opinion.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Default Nossler 170 Grain

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    NOSLER makes a 170 grain round nosed Partition which would work in the 307-308 tubular magazine rifles. This would allow a premium bullet to be used.
    X2 That's the same one I use and have had good results with. Good accuracy and performance on game.

Woody