Thread: Favorite Spring Flies

Default Favorite Spring Flies

Spring is almost here and I thought that I would start a thread on favorite spring rainbow flies.
    My favorite fly is a black cone head wooly bugger and I find it effective on a dead drift or making a short fast stripping motion.

Alvin's and woolhead scullpin's (river's)... Of course that really depends on where I'm fishing. First lake fishing of the year I go with marabou lake leeches.

definatly a smolt pattern. I like an olive zonker for rivers.

My first lake trip is also an olive leech pattern, or damselfly pattern.

Default Reconstituted edibles

Pre Smolt time I like to use a bunch of the things you use as the season winds down in Oct. There's a lot of flesh, maggots and eggs that get stranded during low late fall flows and it is often reconstituted in the spring as waterlevels rise. I caught a char in a small river a few years ago right after ice out that had a mouth full of old eggs, maggots and even worms....but I find brown and off white fleshflies are really effective right away each year. I use em year round but I've definitely found there is a second flesh bite in the spring. As the season warms I'm chuckin smolt patterns and big leeches until the salmon show up to provide more trout groceries.

Has anyone tried one of these "bead belly bouncers" I tied up a few last night to try on the upper Kenai for something different?

I love fishing smolt flies, thunder creeks, zonkers, bead chain smolt, poppers, I love the explosive takes and big fish.

For lakes I like to fish scuds, midges, and attractor dries. The scuds work the best

I also love fishing standard classic steelhead flies, but thats because I like catching steelhead
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Akpowder

My go to for grayling and accidentally steelies is a pearl scud. simple to tie lil harder to find the materials.

Body is a yarn of a pearl-white dubbed with a bit of white hares ear carded in. Shell back I use the pearl ice crystals they sell at xmas time Heat them up and they become fancy crystals, leavem alone and they are the perfect size 14 and 16 shell back in pearl plus you have TONS of them Rib with silver wire. Copper bead on a scud hook to match.

Premo premo premo steelie fly. Found that out in Ketchikan one spring, like I said by accident. Dollys on a 3 wt is fun. Steelies on a 3 wt......shew! leaves a lasting impression like it was yesterday.

nope never tried them (belly bouncers) but i started tying them tho!
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

Default belly bouncer alvein

-Tight Lines & head shakin

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    Akpowder

My go to for grayling and accidentally steelies is a pearl scud. simple to tie lil harder to find the materials.

Body is a yarn of a pearl-white dubbed with a bit of white hares ear carded in. Shell back I use the pearl ice crystals they sell at xmas time Heat them up and they become fancy crystals, leavem alone and they are the perfect size 14 and 16 shell back in pearl plus you have TONS of them Rib with silver wire. Copper bead on a scud hook to match.

Premo premo premo steelie fly. Found that out in Ketchikan one spring, like I said by accident. Dollys on a 3 wt is fun. Steelies on a 3 wt......shew! leaves a lasting impression like it was yesterday.
    That sounds like a killer fly I'll make sure to put a few in my box. This year I'm gonna go for the 20/20 club or at least the 20/10 club, should be fun
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.