Thread: Winter/Spring/Summer/or Dead Standing?

Question Winter/Spring/Summer/or Dead Standing?

Here's another thread for ya!

Based on all your experiences out there building cabins with logs, what would you all mostly prefer? Logs cut in the Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall, or good dead standing timber? Reason I ask is we have had this indepth discussion at work recently. We argued the obvious pro's and con's of each, but I wanted to put it out in the forum for all to participate if you should choose to. Once again, any and all info is much appreciated.
    Be safe, and enjoy your time outdoors!
    Mountain Man

"I'm not here for a long time! I'm here for a good time!!!!!!!!!!!"

I ring the trees in late winter before the spring sap, Leave standing till following spring and haul back with snow machine.

There's a book written by Tom Walker titled "Building the Alaska log home" that costs about $30 but is worth every penny.It covers most every aspect you would need to know to build any style log home or cabin.

Default Eventually all cabin logs are dead

SuYentna Dave has the right idea of cutting green trees, but since the logs will be dead soon in the cabin, and hopefully dry, and every tree dries a little differently, you would be way ahead, if you have a source of dead standing trees, to pick among them for prime cabin logs....they won't change much once standing dead to horizontal dead!

Idaho Mtnman

Default Sweet!

Thanks to all for the info!
    Be safe, and enjoy your time outdoors!
    Mountain Man

"I'm not here for a long time! I'm here for a good time!!!!!!!!!!!"