Thread: Size Matter's!

Question Size Matter's!

Hey All,

Once again I sit here reading all the interesting/informative posts, dreaming of the cabin I will soon build, when suddenly I started second guessing the size of my plan. Based on some of your experiences, upon finishing the labors of building, and setting up the interior have you ever stood back and wished you had built a bigger cabin? If so, what is the size you have found most accomodating for a hunting camp for 5? I plan on building a loft, so please take that into consideration. I have always lived by the old saying "If your going to do something, then you might as well do it right the first time"! Any and all info will be greatly appreciated! thanks....................
    Be safe, and enjoy your time outdoors!
    Mountain Man

"I'm not here for a long time! I'm here for a good time!!!!!!!!!!!"

Smile cabin

Ive decided on building a 12x16 with a loft for my remote 3 acres 35 miles up river this summer. Mostly just be me and the woman or a friend or two going up there on weekends though I would definitly go bigger like a 20x20 or a 16x24 with large uptstairs open loft if I could afford it right now. Ill add on or build bigger in a couple years. Also my problem is that all my materials has to be hauled on my boat so ill fab it in the front yard in 4x8 sections so it goes up fast once on site.

Ive spent a week in a 12x14 usfs cabin with 4 other guys on a fly in deer hunt a couple times and it was very tight. But we did have fun. But would want a little bigger if it was a annual affair. Ive been out with one other guy in those cabins for a week and isnt to bad as far as elbow room goes.

I too have been second guesing myself on the size problem but luckily practicality overuled the credit card this time! A lot of it depends on money though. Building materials are outrageos here in juneau. Thats the only thing keeping me from going big all at once.

Here is a good source of plans, ideas and many owner built cabins.

http://countryplans.com/

Click on forums.

I am pretty set on 20 X 30, dual loft with a catwalk between them. That way I can have a bedroom on the first floor, bedroom on the second floor and a loft in the front to relax in witout losing the cathedral ceiling feel. Like in this link but 20 wide.

http://www.countryplans.com/lemay.html

Kids get married, have kids, family comes up, etc... I don't want to go too small and end up building on continuously.

Thumbs up cabin

Yea I came across that one a while back and a couple other versions of the same plans. Thats exactly what im putting up when I expand. The small cabin im building is just a start so I dont gotta stay in a tent while building. And to do a little hunting out of.

Default Ours about right for 5 or 6

Our cabin in Prince William Sound is 16 x 24, with an 8x24 loft. 4 x 8 of the bottom floor is a covered porch....really fine to have a porch to take off wet clothes, boots etc. plus a place to sit and do whatever with a roof over you. We regularly have 4-6 people there, 6 gets a little tight. We built it all from scratch, not finished with interior yet, it will be AK birch and ID pine/fir paneled. But, we only work on the inside when it is raining hard, there are fish to catch! We have about $12K in materials in the cabin.

Somebody tell me how to attach a picture, I'm a rookie at this forum thing. Looks like you have to have a web address for a picture.

Mine is 16wX20L with a half loft. Was goin gto go 24x28 but after thinking about it and several freinds asking me, "who are you trying to please? Everyone else or you?" I said true, it is my cabin, my place and if theres to many people there, well, theres the floor. ....Seriously, my place is very compfy with 5-6 ppl and we have had 10 out there before and worked out fine because we all knew each other well (get your minds out of the gutter! )....

Mike (dirtofak) I have not forgot about our conversation, just havent been up there in a while. I am heading up this weekend so I will get those matirials for you.

Curt
    Attached Images Attached Images