Thread: Trip to Kenai/Kasilof worth it tonight?

Default Trip to Kenai/Kasilof worth it tonight?

I am wondering whether you guys think a trip to the Kenai or Kasilof to dipnet tonight would be worth the trip. There are obviously lots of discussions going about the effect of commercial boats on these fisheries. When I dipped the kasilof a few weeks ago, it was packed with commercial boats right out front. But, the Kenai was also closed at that time. It seems that now, having both rivers open for commercial boats, would distribute them over a wider area. Also, given the fact that they come off the river at 7 might allow more fish in by the 9 pm high tide, no? Just curious what you guys think. Thanks in advance.

jmg, i'm not sure if it would be worth the trip since the fishery is scheduled to close at 12:01 tonight. If they extend it then that could change things considerably. If you live close by then it would probably be well worth your time and effort, afterall, you can catch them sitting at home!

Akhunter, when you say "the fishery" closes at 12:01 tonight, which fishery are you talking about? My understanding (correct me if I'm wrong), is that the kenai dipnet fishery closes tonight (unless extended), the kasilof dipnet fishery closes on August 7, so there is still time (although the fish numbers will start dwindling soon), and the commercial fishing for today will close at 7 p.m. tonight.

Ideally they would extend the kenai dipnet fishery another week and not put in an emergency order to let the commercial boats out tomorrow (a regularly scheduled day off for commercial boats). This would at least give dippers tomorrow to get fish without having battle with the commercial boats (not taking a sport vs. commercial position here, just saying it would be nice to have a day where both are not on the water).

Default Hard to say. . .

For what it's worth, two friends were flossing at Swiftwater this morning, and it took them 40 minutes to lay six reds on the bank. My brother-in-law and friends are taking their boat out this afternoon to dip the Kenai. They figure it's worth a shot. . .

I meant the Kenai dipnet fishery.

Unhappy Latest from local ADF&G office...

It's just after 2 in the afternoon, and I just hung up from talking to one of the ladies at our local ADF&G office. According to her, the Kenai dip net fishery will not be extended, closing tonight.

A little more clarification...

The Kenai PU fishery closes at 11 tonight...not at midnight....normal Kenai PU fishery times 6am - 11pm.