Thread: .308 Marlin Brass from .307 Winchester Brass

Default .308 Marlin Brass from .307 Winchester Brass

I finally got around to actually doing this resize project.

Because .308 Marlin Express brass is not available yet, I called Hornady and asked them if resizing 307 Win. would work and they told me it "should". (no absolute yes lol)

I got the brass in today and resized it in my 308 Marlin die and then loaded 10 cartridges. They ran through perfectly so now I'm on my way to test fire.

Looking good though trimming is kind of a pain.

All fired perfectly.

After resizing the first time I had to trim .101 off for proper size. Had to make sure sizing die was down all the way to shell holder. My first few it wasnt and I couldnt chamber the brass. Even a few thousands makes a big difference.

The 307 Win brass wasn't cheap either but at least I have brass now for the Marlin. It ended up costing me 125.00 for 200 pieces from a local gun shop. Probably could have gotten it cheaper but Buying local helps.

Later
    Mike

Good news. I buy local whenever I can, even if it costs me more. If you keep buying local they'll keep stocking stuff. Buying online to save a few pennies comes real close to cutting your nose off to spite your face. I hear lots of whining about local stores not carrying much any more. Well, duhhhh!!!!

I sized down 50 307 Win cases and loaded them twice, shot them once, ended up with 50 loaded rounds, sent away with the gun. I think I paid about $35 for the fifty via USPS, not available at all locally.

[[When sizing cases down I think it makes a better fit to leave the die up a little and try a case then screw it down, try again then screw down until the action just closes then just a 1/8 turn more.]] That went well for me.

[[When pushing of a shoulder back, this sometimes leaves a thicker neck portion of the case and these may need to be neck reamed (inside reamed not outside turned). You should always use unfired donor cases, they are softer and have less chance of having a thickened ridge in the shoulder area. I have a 30 caliber neck reamer but didn't use it, or need it. To do this the brass needs to be fired and unsized and held in a die dimensioned to not size the neck, such as a Redding body die or an RCBS neck reaming die. Well I don't have such for the 308 Marlin and of course it hadn't been fired and it was sized when forming it. A case forming die has a chamber dimensioned neck and allows this also, without sizing the neck past "fired" dimensions. I have done this forming with many different calibers and it has worked well for most but sometimes, with some guns, some brands of brass need to be reamed. In such case special care must be taken to releave the this extra thick neck. The loaded cartridge neck diameter is part of the SAAMI ( or any standard) specs. The cartridge will have a maximum neck diameter, the chamber will have a minimum neck diameter. Comparing those two we then need .001"-.002" larger chamber neck diameter than we have in the loaded neck diameter of the cartridge. If you chamber your loaded round and have resistance it may be from the neck jamming into the neck of the chamber. This will clamp the bullet into the case and cause a rise in pressures. This will require the use of much lighter loads and/or a reduction of neck wall thickness to prevent a hazardous situation.]] From my "Custom Cartridge".

It seems you have done well with this and all dimensions were compatable. I leave you with this information for what ever use you may derive from it but it seems your doing fine. Good luck with that little gem.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?