Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger 350 rem mag is driving me nuts!

Default Ruger 350 rem mag is driving me nuts!

I played around with 3 loads in my M-77MKII 350 Rem. Mag.
    I have a 2x7 Leupold on there and have a good solid rest. BUT, so far I have not been able to obtain a good group.

So far:
    57.0 grains of VARGET, 225 gr kodiak bullet, Rem 9 1/2 primer, loaded to 2.87col Average velocity 2,536fps. 23 fps extreme variation. VERY Dirty load. 2.3 inch group

56.0 grains IMR 3031, 225 Sierra gameking BT., Fed 215M primer, loaded to 2.900 col. Average velocity 2,688fps. 20 fps extreme variation. Clean load. 3 inch group.

55.0 grains H-4895, 250 grain Speer Spitzer. Fed 215 M primer. Loaded to 2.88 COL. Average velocity 2,537fps. 15 fps extreme variation. Fairly clean. 3 inch group.

I am not all that happy with the rough feed ramp of the action or the timing set of the magazine rails. This thing does not chamber from the magazine very smoothly.

The next step may be to free float the barrel away from the plastic stock. But it would be nice to obtain a sub 2 inch group first.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

How's the bedding? And did you play with the trigger any?

I've never even heard fo a 350 Rem Mag before today Maybe you should get some speers

But more seriously...off point...a lot/some of you Alaska guys seem to really like big guns (I never was a good diplomat) I just ran the 250 grain bullet @ 2500 fps and the calc showed me a muzzle energy (which drops off very quickley) of 3500 ftlbs, which is about 200-300 ftlbs less than I can get out of a 300 Win/WSM. A 338 at short ranges will deliver about 100 - 200 ftlbs more energy than a 300 but the 300 quickley catches up down range. What's the advantage?

Anyway...back to the subject... I've heard the larger caliber rifles (above 30 cal) are typically and inherently less accurate until you get to something like the 50BMG

Happy Hunting

I've heard the front-angled-screw needs to be tightened up real tight. It might be your problem?

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    But more seriously...off point...a lot/some of you Alaska guys seem to really like big guns (I never was a good diplomat) I just ran the 250 grain bullet @ 2500 fps and the calc showed me a muzzle energy (which drops off very quickley) of 3500 ftlbs, which is about 200-300 ftlbs less than I can get out of a 300 Win/WSM. A 338 at short ranges will deliver about 100 - 200 ftlbs more energy than a 300 but the 300 quickley catches up down range. What's the advantage?
    Speed is temporary, weight is not, that's the advantage.
    Big, heavy bullets pushed at moderate speeds penetrate better on big, heavy game.

KK

Red face

I've never even heard fo a 350 Rem Mag before today Maybe you should get some speers

But more seriously...off point...a lot/some of you Alaska guys seem to really like big guns (I never was a good diplomat) I just ran the 250 grain bullet @ 2500 fps and the calc showed me a muzzle energy (which drops off very quickley) of 3500 ftlbs, which is about 200-300 ftlbs less than I can get out of a 300 Win/WSM.A 338 at short ranges will deliver about 100 - 200 ftlbs more energy than a 300 but the 300 quickley catches up down range. What's the advantage?

Anyway...back to the subject... I've heard the larger caliber rifles (above 30 cal) are typically and inherently less accurate until you get to something like the 50BMG

Happy Hunting

Did you plug into your calculator that the 225 grain Kodiak bullet has a B.C. of .57? If not then you'll be happy to know that it will retain its energy better than most 180 grain .30 cal bullets.

The only way a 300 WM will ever come close to the penetration/power performance of 350 RM is to load it with a 220 gr. Nosler partition, and then it still won't quite be there.

What's the advantage? A bigger fatter bullet, makes bigger fatter holes.

As for accuracy of larger calibers.... My old 358 Norma Magnum would launch a 250 grain Speer Spitzer at 2,850 fps. At 300 yards it would fire a 2.5 inch group. Just one ragegd hole at 100 yards. That was a modiifed M-70 Winchester with a MPI fiberglass stock.
    Many 338 Win Mags will produce very small groups. Even my 45-70 1886 Winchester, will group some loads around 3/4 of an inch.

When the sun has set and you are 2 miles from camp with a load of moose meat on your back, a heavy fat bullet is somewhat reassuring when the brush is thick and dark on both sides of the trail.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

OK, you guys win... I stand *enlightened*. The momentum (which i neglected to check) of the 250 gr bullet is about 20% greater... but the retained energy using a .570 BC is close to the same...and the accuracy between large bore and medium bore is debatable.

Happy Hunting

A friend of mine swears that Rugers forward screw needs to be tightend as much as you can.
    I have also read that a good bedding job on a quality stock will do wonders for Rugers as well.
    Heavier is better when penetration is the goal.

Definatly need a new stock, mcmillian or simlar, get it bedded free floated and check the crown. Once all of those things are done I'm sure you will have a great shooting and handling big game rifle.

I had one just like yours a year ago. I messed with it and wasted money until I was blue in the face. I finally sent it packing. I didn't have any issues with feeding but the best group I ever got was just over 2 inches. A bolt gun that won't shoot under 2" right out of the box this day age is a black eye to the manufacturer!

Quote Originally Posted by Eastwoods View Post
    Did you plug into your calculator that the 225 grain Kodiak bullet has a B.C. of .57? If not then you'll be happy to know that it will retain its energy better than most 180 grain .30 cal bullets.

The only way a 300 WM will ever come close to the penetration/power performance of 350 RM is to load it with a 220 gr. Nosler partition, and then it still won't quite be there.

Ty .37 for a 225 and that is with the sierra boattail. The 250 nosler is .446 which is not bad.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

There is a lot of info missing from your senario though.

How many rounds have you shot through the rifle?

How often do you clean it?

Are you getting verticle or horizontal stringing or a nice round group?
    --

For example is the "56.0 grains IMR 3031 load" a max load?

Did you try groups with 54, 54.5, 55, 55.5 of IMR 3031?

Did you try different seating depths with the bullets?

Using different seating depths or different powder charges is like using the BOSS SYSTEM on a browning or winchester rifle. It changes the barrel harmonics.

If this is a new rifle and does not have at least 50 rounds down the tube I would not be concerned yet.

3" at 100 yards is an easy 200 yard hunting rifle.

rmiller beat me to it. Try adjusting seating depths. I did it the old fashioned way. I let the rifle seat the bullet on an empty cartridge for me then go down from there. I subtracted any land marking on the bullet first. Hard to explain in a brief post.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastwoods View Post

There is no way the BC of that bullet is anyways near .570.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Happy Hunting
    Well if you mean the 338 Mag, yes it out works the 350 short and stubby, but accuracy of anything over 30 caliber is just as good as anything under.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    I played around with 3 loads in my M-77MKII 350 Rem. Mag.
    I have a 2x7 Leupold on there and have a good solid rest. BUT, so far I have not been able to obtain a good group.

So far:
    57.0 grains of VARGET, 225 gr kodiak bullet, Rem 9 1/2 primer, loaded to 2.87col Average velocity 2,536fps. 23 fps extreme variation. VERY Dirty load. 2.3 inch group

56.0 grains IMR 3031, 225 Sierra gameking BT., Fed 215M primer, loaded to 2.900 col. Average velocity 2,688fps. 20 fps extreme variation. Clean load. 3 inch group.

55.0 grains H-4895, 250 grain Speer Spitzer. Fed 215 M primer. Loaded to 2.88 COL. Average velocity 2,537fps. 15 fps extreme variation. Fairly clean. 3 inch group.

I am not all that happy with the rough feed ramp of the action or the timing set of the magazine rails. This thing does not chamber from the magazine very smoothly.

The next step may be to free float the barrel away from the plastic stock. But it would be nice to obtain a sub 2 inch group first.

These look like good loads with good ES numbers. I just don't think the screw can ever be tight enough, or loose enough, for that flexible flyer stock to shoot. Heavier calibers just twist and torgue the stock and the rifle moves inside it. A good McM or MPI will settle it down and allow it to shoot.

I guy brought me a 350 RM Ruger a while back and it shot neat little 3 " groups for both of us until I swapped it's plastic stock for a laminated one I had around. I didn't hit an inch but just over, enough to tell we needed a better stock and bedding. Rugers angular bedding screw is an oddity and it would make bedding easier without that forward pulling screw.
    I would bed that thing in a good rigid stock full length, I think thats the way it likes it.

Thumbs up Murphy's word

The 225 nosler accubond is .550 (reported by nosler), and before Kodiaks website went down (or moved) they claimed .57 BC.

However, Murphy if you are sure then I'll take your word.

I used 59grs of IMR4895 and was under an inch. I believe it is powder and seating depth more than likely is the problem. My Mod 7 350 Rem out of the box with 60grs of WW748, 59grs of IMR4895 and 58grs of IMR4320 are all under an inch. I do not think it is the rifle and is more than likely finding the load that really works in it. Ken Waters when he was alive and wrote a peace on the 350 Rem mag was using a Ruger. Check his book out if you have it and he has some very accurate loads for the 350 Rem Mag. If you do not have the book let me know and when I get home Friday I will look up his accurate loads for you. Don't stop looking for the load and you still have room to go up some with the H4895.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

The 225 Nosler accubond is .423..per there website.

35 Whelen
    225 gr. Partition® & AccuBond®
    Ballistic Coefficient: PT (.430), AB (.423)
    Sectional Density: .251

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast