Thread: 16' Wooldridge

Default 16' Wooldridge

Anyone running a 16' with OBJ? I'm in the market for one now, and was wondering how they are for capacity, ie, 3 people, gear, dressed out moose. Wooldridge lists a 16 with 1100Lbs capacity, but is that with full fuel? 1100 lbs is payload on a 185, and you aren't going to carry 3 guys, gear and a moose.
    I like the idea of a smaller boat, but maybe 18' would be the better choice.
    Cheers

Default payload and boat

ok, you got a few loaded questions here.
    1. a 185 payload. 3 guys and gear plus a moose, thats WAY over 1100 lbs (been there done that) are you on floats or wheels? Makes a huge difference.

2. I have NEVER heard anyone say they wish they had a smaller boat(until they are stuck on a sand bar!!!) I was looking at boats last year, and thought 18' would be good for me, well we ended up gettting a 20', and it is perfect(until I am on the ocean, and wish I had a 28') For what you are trying to do, I would DEFINITELY look for a 18' boat with as much horsepower as you can afford if you are going to get a jet. Don't forget you loose 30% of your horse power when You go to a jet. I have the 20' wooldridge sport with a 150hp optimax(really 105 hp at the jet) and wish I had a 200hp motor.
    just my 2 cents

Thanks for the info.
    I was just thinking of the 185 on floats for reference. Couldn't imagine pilot + 3 guys, gear and a moose. Thats why i was wondering about the 16'.
    But ya, you're right, longer is better for sure up to a point. I'm thinking 18', maybe 20'.
    Cheers
    Paul

Default Wooldridge

Some one is getting a nice new Wooldridge. A 20ft Sport, with a 200 Yamaha, 2 truck seats, black with gold trim, I saw it headed to the dealer.

Off to Anchorage this weekend to pick up an 18' (17'6"?)Alaskan.
    Pretty stoked to be getting a Wooldridge. Sure i'll probably be wishing for a 20', but the moose over here are smaller anyways

My brother has a 16' Alumaweld with an open floor plan. It seems big, but I think a bigger one would be nicer. It dosen't carry much weight.

Thumbs up Congrats yukoner!

Congrats on the wooldridge!!! Did you get a new one or a used one? I really love mine, sportdrifter is a wealth of info on thses boats!! lets see some pics when ya get it home!! Trust me you won't be dissapointed!!

Can't wait for ice-out!
    Sportdrifter was super helpful, same with Glen at Wooldridge.
    Its a used '98 with an `04 Evinrude 115 on it. Picking it up on Monday in Anchorage. Nice clean looking boat.
    First thing i'm going to do when i get home is put it in my shop and weld some 1x3 rect. tubeing around the gunnels to raise them up like the newer Alaskans have on them.
    Cheers
    Paul

congratz....is that the one recently posted on craigs's list?...if so, my father was looking at that one...lol...looks like he missed out..
    Last edited by tjm; 03-21-2008 at 12:28. Reason: ..........
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Sorry dude
    There was another in Fairbanks, but that went quick too. I see there is a 20' AkII, $16,500, no picture so don't know what kind of shape it is in. The one i'm getting looks pretty clean.

Default Had a 16' HewesCraft River Runner for 10 years

Was a great, stable boat, but put in much more than two people and gear and it just didn't work. Moved up to a 21' XS and am much, much happier.

Wink

The first jet boat i've been on before buying mine 1 year later was the same as the one your purchasing. I gotta say from the expirience i had on it, it was rather pleasantful. There i was amongst the driver and his dog, running down to the deshka river and then towards the yetna after owning and still owning a lund 16' prop. The relief and pucker facter all in one as we navigated to who knows where and who cares where. Nice boat, think you'll enjoy it on the rivers. I did here the driver tell me though, while in seward with the same boat he was uneasy about the setup in three foot chop and all. Took mine there (21' Grayling) and could'nt say the same about mine. Have'nt felt threatend yet and i have'nt been out in ruff seas so that may explain why i guess. I have been on the Ski-lak lake with 6' chop and it was interesting with hard rain and wind, only one out there. Lets just say i am glad my 150hp was able to launch us (me and two little boys) over the swells.

Its the same old story eh, trying to find the one "do it all" boat. I'm going to use it on lakes as well, and i'm pretty sure i know how it will feel, but i grew up fishing with the folks in a Zodiac Mk II (non rigid hull), and i can't imagine this will be any worse in waves. That thing beat you up in rough water. I'm perfectly happy giving up lake perfomance to get shallow water/river performance, or so i think... As far as a bigger boat, well, we'll see how i like it after a year, can always upgrade As long as it will hold 2 of us and some gear and a dressed out moose, i'll be fine.
    Was just out walking the dog along the river, looking at the gravel bars and channels....... Another month or so