Thread: Where to go Fly Fishing for Silvers?

Default Where to go Fly Fishing for Silvers?

My brother and I will be in Alaska Sept 15-25, 2008. We will go up to Denali for the Touristy stuff for a couple of days, then staying in state/fed cabins for the rest of the time, and want to fly fish for Rainbows, Dollys, and Silvers. The main thing is we don't want to combat fish. We are also on a tight budget, so can't "fly-in" The question is, where can we go, from Denali to the Kenai, and get away from the crowds, and fish. My brother has bad knees, so we can't hike miles either. Dates are set, but cabins are not rented yet. Any idea as to best cabins? Close to roads, but no neighbors? Looking at Upper Ohmer Lake cabin as a possibility.

Any advice would be appreciated,
    Shaun

Default thoughts

You may want to look into the Homer area for silvers. The Kenai area in general has tons to offer. Troutfitters is a shop on the Kenai (Cooper Landing I think) that would be a good place to call. They have guides there and could tell you some options for that time of year. You could do a guided hike (brief) in trip and/or boat trip. Jerry Herrod runs a guide service in that area and I hear great things of him. Alaskatroutonthefly (or similar) is his website and you can google his name to find it. This would be a great time of year for a charter boat trip on the Kenai for bows/dollies. Motorboat and driftboats can be used. The Kenai, Kasilof, and Russian Rivers are three popular rivers in that area. Lots of charters to choose from. It may be getting late for silvers though. But most of my time in Alaska has been in NW so I am not the one to say. Hopefully others with experience in that area will chime in. For dollies/bows, you will find plenty and timing is great. There is a book that I think (know) will help you tremendously. It is "Flyfisher's Guide to Alaska" by Scott Haugen. He breaks down the state in areas (chapters) and tells you where/when/how kind of stuff. The best thing about this book is the maps and directions to fishing areas. The maps alone are worth the price of the book. Tons of other info like which rod/reel/line/flies and such. It can be found on the forum store. Click on "Store" up top, then "Fishing" and it is on page 2 or 3. One of the best books I own about fishing in Alaska. Get it now. You will be glad you did. Lots of info in that book you won't find out about here. As for the cabins, rent them early! And you may find it better to stay in campgrounds/motels so you can come and go as you want more easily. Staying in specific cabins may keep you from getting around as much as you want. Lots of areas to fish!
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default Here is the book...

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default that time of year

I always look forward to that time of year and fishing for silvers out of Whittier in Smittys Cove. No four wheel drive needed, no boat needed, no guide needed. I have seen it fill with a few people but never anything as bad as the Russian/Kenai confluence. If you are passing by, stop in Whittier and look around. It is a great little town and the sliver fishing can be amazing there.

Default Fishing in September

Shaun, Jerry is longer guiding, so that is out. A good do-it yourself trip, would be a walk-in on the Russian River. Accessing the river from the Grayling campground, you can fish all the way down to the confluence with the Kenai River, sight fishing for Silvers, Rainbows, and Dollies. That time of year, you won't see half the folks you normally see during the red run in the summer. There are bears that hang around that particular area, so, just make sure you're making alot of noise when you're walking down the boardwalk. Good Luck!

D Ray

Remember Russian River Silvers are 1 per day, again this year.

Like you my trips are planned budget minded. Cordova is a place I'd strongly consider. There is a service cabin there also. Though you'll have to get there and rent a car for a few days.

I wasn't aware Jerry is no longer guiding. Any info you care to share?

Wyatt

Don't think twice go to Kodiak
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.