Thread: Shrimp pot line

Default Shrimp pot line

Hi everyone,
    This will be my second year at shrimping. (PWS) Can anyone tell me if my pots are at 300 ft. or 450 ft. my line spool is 600 ft. do I cut the line?do I use sinking line and let it all out. I have not seen lines floating on the water or tied to buoys.
    Thank You.

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

Just attach three 16oz sinkers to the floating line in 50' increments from the buoy. We use floating line and typically use ~150 or more feet of extra rope to compensate for misjudged depths, currents, and tides. Sinkers will do the trick.

You can add short pieces of chain to sink a floating line & i suggest to use 25-30% more buoy line than the depth of the water fished. Please stop by my booth at any one of the 3 Outdoorsmans shows this spring and i'll be glad to give you some advise on rigging up. By the way i'll have non leaded sinking rope, its not so hard & stiff, at the shows along with floating rope & other shrimping goodies.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

On another note, cutting off additional line would limit how deep you can set in the future. I would never cut additional line opposed to just sinking it. You may find that 600' is actually not enough for some of the best shrimping spots in the Sound.

Just get some sinking line. I've only used leaded, but if unleaded line works too, go for that. And just let it all out. If your worried about it, attach a 16 or 24 ounce lead 50 or 100 feet bellow the bouy.

coil your extra line and tie it to your bouy instead of cutting it.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.