Thread: Surf Fishing Rod ?

Thumbs down Surf Fishing Rod ?

On my annual month long sojourn to the Kenai Peninsula this year I'm thinking of building up a surf rod and do some fishing off the beach as a change of pace. Now to my question I am looking at 2 blanks that are currently on sale. Both are 10 foot 2 piece, with the first rated 15 to 30# line and 1 to 4 oz weight. While the second is rated 20 to 40# line and 2 to 6 oz weight. Would I be able to get away with the lighter one when fishing off deep creek, anchor point, homer spit or would it be better to get the heavier blank?
    Thanks in advance for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    On my annual month long sojourn to the Kenai Peninsula this year I'm thinking of building up a surf rod and do some fishing off the beach as a change of pace. Now to my question I am looking at 2 blanks that are currently on sale. Both are 10 foot 2 piece, with the first rated 15 to 30# line and 1 to 4 oz weight. While the second is rated 20 to 40# line and 2 to 6 oz weight. Would I be able to get away with the lighter one when fishing off deep creek, anchor point, homer spit or would it be better to get the heavier blank?
    Thanks in advance for your input.
    I only have one surf cast rig and it is a heavy 2-12oz rig. I would lean towards the heavier rod so you can heave enough weight to stay on bottom in the current. If 10' is as long as you can get it will have to do but I would suggest a 12-15' rod if you can find it and transport it. The added legnth helps you get out there futher Good luck and I hope to see you on the beach.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the info!!
    A I will be surf fishing only a couple of days a year I think I will go with the 10 footer 2-6 oz blank as it's quite inexpensive and being a 2 piece easy to transport. If I were doing this type of fishing often I would definately step up to a very good quality 14 or 15 footer, the blank I am looking at is on sale for only $50. So with the guides, grip and reel seat I can build it for about $100, which is a pretty good entry level price.

How are you rigging your setup? Pyramid sinker, swivel, leader, hook?
    I am planning on using 30# braid, 25 pound mono leader......... sound right?

Default surf casting set up

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    How are you rigging your setup?
    I hope you can see enough detail in this picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images

It's a little small, but I blew it up and get the idea.
    Thanks