Thread: How to pack/protect spot. scope?

Question How to pack/protect spot. scope?

Like some others on this forum, I've recently acquired a Pentax PF65EDII w/ 20-60x eyepiece. It came with a HD nylon cover. How do those of you who backpack this spotter make sure it doesn't get dinged?

I've seen special foam padded soft cases - "Snug Rugs" - that may offer some defense. I'm sure there are others. Any suggestions? I've also thought of wrapping the scope up in "bubble wrap". Several layers should offer a bit of protection.

Should the eyepiece be removed from the scope body for packing?

Thanks.......Rick

Thumbs up

I use a neoprene see through cover, just pull off the ends to use.I think its made by Snug Rug, around $50 @ Sportsmans Wharehouse,they make them for spcific models.

Default cover..

There are neoprene covers you can buy. Finding one to fit the Pentax may be challenging. Check out B&H photo and outdoor sites like Cabelas and such. You could always wrap it in a foam sleeping pad and let the pad pull double duty. I leave my eyepiece on at all times. Too risky taking it off and putting it on. Protect the scope and leave the eyepiece on.

The below link shows a store that sells your scope with a protective cover in a package. You may be able to contact them and buy the cover.

http://www.opticsspot.com/SearchResu...ver&exact=True
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

The Pentax cover is a great stay on cover as far as I'm concerned. HD padded cordura with access holes in the right spot. That's all I use for mine. I can even leave the quick release tripod plate on the scope and zip up the case. It's good as the neoprene ones that you have to buy extra for the zeiss or swaros. The reason it's challenging to find an after market one for the Pentaxes is because they come with one from the factory.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default Pentax case

I have the Pentax case that came w/ my scope. My interest is in seeing it better padded inside my pack. Probably, I'll try several layers of the plastic bubble wrap used in shipping, and then wrap it in clothes. I'm more than a little paranoid about dinging the scope.

Thanks.....Rick

Ya I understand Rick. I just stuff mine in the main compartment of my pack so it's surrounded by other stuff rather than in an outside pouch where it could take a hard direct hit if fall or drop my pack. They really are pretty darn tough though. I also have some Pentax binos that have used pretty hard, banged them around and they are tough. Just a few minor scuffs in the rubber. I think the Pentax quality is excellent and they stand behind it with a lifetime warranty.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Thumbs up solution?

I looked your scope up on B&H Photo/Video site and found these measurements...

10.6 x 4.5 x 3.3" (270 x 115 x 85mm) LxHxW

Assuming this is correct, there is a Lowepro case that is made for 300/400mm DSLR lenses that will perfectly accomodate your spotting scope. I own several of these padded cases for my lenses for my Canon 40D and they are nice. Very protective and well made of 600 denier. I can appreciate you wanting to protect your glass. I have a Zeiss 85 spotting scope that I take on my NW Alaska float trips. I use it for digiscoping. Quality glass cost and it makes sense to protect it. Below is a link to the Lowepro case that should perfectly hold your scope. The measurements of the case are...

Interior Dimensions 6.0 x 11.75" (15 x 30cm) (Dia x H)

Here is the link to the Lowepro case....

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...s_Case_5_.html
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default case for a lift.

Thanks, guys. I'm sure protecting the scope isn't all that difficult; there are plenty of ways to do it. I appreciate the ideas.

Happy Trails ......Rick

Default Closed Cell Foam

Rick,

I use an old thermarest stuff sack lined with part of an old closed cell foam sleeping pad all the way around it except on the top where the spotting scope slides in. A stuff sack, foam pad and a little tape and you will be ready to go in no time at all. This method provides quick and easy access to my spotter and has worked well for me. I am currently in the process of slightly modifying my set up, so I can use the pad as a seat cushion when using the spotter.

Before I bought my "snug rug" i used to pack my scope rolled up in my sleeping bag put into a stuff sack, i did save weight that way. or rolled up in my insulated jacket when I was not wearing it, then stuffed into the long circular side pocket of my Barneys pack, it worked good...saving weight and gettin' protection, can't beat it.