Thread: Wyoming knife and similar blades for moose / caribou field processing?

Default Wyoming knife and similar blades for moose / caribou field processing?

Just wanting folks opinions on Wyoming knives or similar "gut hook" style blades for making quick, long cuts along the hide while quartering your moose or caribou... Anyone ever tried them? I know moose can have thick hides, especially along the back, so I was wondering if these type of blades work well or if they're better left for light skinned game. I'm mostly interested in how well these knives cut hides, not zip open the body cavity (I don't anticipate ever gutting an moose).

I have a skinning knife with a gut hook on the top. I have sharpened it as sharp as I can get it but found it lacking on trying to pull it through the hide. It is just too thick for the knife that I have.

I have the outdoor edge "Kodi-skinner" and the moose hide is no problem. Never tried a wyoming knife.

I have a Wyoming knife, but I use it on furbearers. It's great for splitting tails, lips and turning ears.

For big game I've have plenty of extended family teenagers on hand with conventional knives who are skilled at animal disassembly.
    Now what ?

I have used the Wyoming knife on caribou. It works ok and makes a clean cut, espeically good for caping. However it tends to get "jammed" up with the heavy hair unless you get the angle just right. Otherwise its a bit frustrating due to having to stop to clean it up.

Well I posed the question last spring if anyone had experience using a Wyoming knife or similar "gut hook" style blades for Alaskan big game. Temptation got the better of me, so I purchased one before hunting season this fall. Last weekend I tried using the "hook style" blade when I was skinning and quartering my wife's moose. Overall, it just didn't work well. I think the hide and hair of a moose are just a bit too much for it. Maybe next year I'll get to try it on a caribou, but I think my curiousity if it would work on a moose is settled. On the bright side, I did find the "open" blade portion of the knife very sharp but I didn't use it much to put it to a good test. I'm guessing it might come in handy for caping.

Default Works Great

I never used one until this season. In the past I have watched hunting partners use them on deer in Kodiak and it appeared to work well. So, this year I used one on a moose and loved it. It did get clogged with hair but it was easy to remove and it made getting the initial cuts on the back and legs very easy.

I would definately recommend using one.

i have a bunch of knives with the gut hooks on them. They work awesome but only when you use the appropriate hook for the animal at hand. The smaller hooks are for deer and caribou. The big hooked blade, which is on my Kershaw blade trader, is the one that works on the moose. If you use the small hooks on the moose or bears it will just clog the hook.

the best gut hook type knife i have used is the swiss-army locking hunter. it has a blunt tip serrated blade that is just like a zipper. since it is a shallow arc as opposed to a hook it never clogs with hair. for back pack hunts it is the only knife i carry.
    CRKT has an "EMT safety hook" that is big enough for caribou and most cuts on a moose.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by deerhunter View Post
    i have a bunch of knives with the gut hooks on them. They work awesome but only when you use the appropriate hook for the animal at hand. The smaller hooks are for deer and caribou. The big hooked blade, which is on my Kershaw blade trader, is the one that works on the moose. If you use the small hooks on the moose or bears it will just clog the hook.
    I don't want to hijack the thread, but deerhunter, what do you think of the blade trader? I received one as a gift but haven't tried it yet.
    I do like the look of that big gut hook. Looks like it should do the job.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

vance-pm sent

Default re

The Wyoming knife worked great for Caribou. Since moose hunting sucked this year no comment on the moose, yet.