Thread: Calling Yotes

Default Calling Yotes

Whats the deal on calling Yotes in the spring? Don't they pair up starting in feb mar? Whats the best method, howling or prey squeals?

Default rabbit distress

We went out yesterday and got a shot at one on the Tanana river, He responded very quickly to the rabbit call.

snowshoe

Recently I have noticed an increase in howling from yotes around my place. They do pair up this time of year. Try both howls and prey sounds. A good way to locate the yotes is to howl, after you find them set up with a rabbit or some other distress call.

I had a pair of yotes come out at about dusk last weekend after a few distress calls. Couldn't get a shot though. I'm, headed back out tonight to get some revenge.

how long are you making your sets for? this last weekend i took a couple buddies our up from big lake and we didn't see or hear a **** thing. we went from the shaw creek flats to my dads farm here in delta and nothing. the places i've had success before with either calling one in or having them alteast howl back to me was empty.

I sit atleast a half hour before moving. I went to a seminar by Rick Kinmon a while ago and he said sit only 15-30 min. at most. IMO thats a little short but he probably knows better than me.

I usually sit for between 20 to 40 minutes at a set. Riding the sleds we have been waiting 10-15 minutes before calling. However this week end we saw a dog run into the brush on a cut bank on the river, we circled down river a few hundred yards from where he went in and set up on the point of an island. We just got settled, maybe thirty seconds, and gave a short series on a mouth call. It wasn't 30 seconds before he reappeared right where he went in. So I guess that at least that yote didn't care about the sleds. I have yet to have an answer to any of my howling though. I think that it may be because I usually hunt during the day?

snowshoe