Thread: C-Dory

Default C-Dory

How do C-Dorys rate as far as Alaskan boats go? Some say aluminum is the only way to go but there seems to be a lot of glass boats out on the water.

15+ years ago i had a 22 footer for 2-3 years, was my first hard side boat .good boat had a blast with it. old flat bottom model and 1 foot chop would beat you to death. being only 7-1/2 wide when you stopped to fish being narrow it rocked and rolled alot.....small sea anchor helped piont in in to wave and was alot better. then went to alot bigger aluminum boat for 15 years, now just got 24 x 8-1/2 fiberglass boat. wish i could have found an aluminum one this size and style but there were not around if any every made.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Happy, I know several people that prefer an aluminum boat because you have the option to beach the boat about anywhere without damaging the hull, where with glass you are taking a big risk. I like them both, but then again, you know my ultimate preference.

The C-Dory 22 is a great boat. Trim tabs all but stop the pounding as does putting some weight in the bow area. With the price of fuel the way it is, they may be the most economical boat on the water for their size.

www.c-brats.com ... all you want to know and then some

The C Dory is a great boat. We have a 2008 22' Cruiser, which is our second C Dory - the first was a 1990 22' Cruiser that we owned when we lived in SE AK. When we lived in SE AK we used our boat for hunting, shrimping and crabbing, and fishing, and it never let us down. After selling the old Dory we considered at a lot of boats, including Hewes and other aluminum boats, but none of them suited our needs as well as the C Dory.

The C Dory handles rough water very well, but you have to be willing to slow down. In choppy seas we typically run around 14 kts. In calm seas, we run around 23 kts., burning around 4.5 - 5 gallons per hour. If you do get a Dory, I would highly recommend getting a Wallas stove and trim tabs. We didn't have either of these on our 1990 boat, and they make a world of difference.

Anyway, good luck with your decision.

Once again, unless you are in a big huge hurry, a C-dory is a great boat. It will get you there and back, and when it is really rough - and I do mean really rough, you will make better time than even most of the deep v's. I love mine because it burns half of the fuel, or even a third of boats the same size that have v-6s and v-8s. Yeah it is trade off to a degree, but with gas soon to be $5.00 dollars per gallon, I am more willing to go even slower, as I don't want fishing and cruising around to bankrupt me. Another nice plus, while the cabin is not huge, it is big enough for three to sleep in a pinch. And hey, on a two-day butt trip, that is important as you don't have to go back, and you can keep fishing and partying into the night. What's the hurry anyway?

The only boat I ever ripped open was aluminum. It seems folks who run glass like glass and the ones who run aluminum like aluminum. I have both and for rough seas I will take the glass any day. The C-Dory is a great rough water boat.