Thread: footwear while hunting AK pen

Default footwear while hunting AK pen

I'm flying out with Branch Air in May for a brown bear hunt into the Alaska Peninsula. My question for those who have flown with them before and know the general area they fly into is do I need hip waders or will my Alpha Burleys rubber boots be ok. If you would go with waders which ones?
    IF GUNS KILL PEOPLE THEN CAN I BLAME MY PENCIL FOR MISSPELLED WORDS?

depends on where you're going, if you are going into the mountains on the north side good boots should be fine if you plan on hunting the low lands hip boots might be good. It was pretty boggy out there in July in the low areas but the mountains looked to be all tundra/alders. don't know about the south side of the penn though
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    depends on where you're going, if you are going into the mountains on the north side good boots should be fine if you plan on hunting the low lands hip boots might be good. It was pretty boggy out there in July in the low areas but the mountains looked to be all tundra/alders. don't know about the south side of the penn though
    Are you going to fish while you are there hunting? Wet feet can make a day miserable. Knowing that packing hips is heavy and bulky sugested buying cheap ones in Anchorage. Then just leave them when I go home. Sounds like a plan to me.
    Hhounds

Default Hip boot recommendation

If the charter is suggesting hip boots, I'd bring hip boots. The brand I'd recommend is Lacrosse ankle fit hip boots. Hippers have notoriously poor ankle support and the Lacrosse boot is better than most in this department. You'll likely be wearing them all day, and you don't want to lose your hunt over cheap boots.

That's what I wear when I'm guiding, and it's what I recommend to my clients.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default hip boots

i'd take a pair of lacrosse anklie fit hip boots with 600 grams of thinsulate....and pair of tall leather waterproof hiking boots...but you probably won't ever wear those
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

While I'm not a guide or expert, by any means, I have hunted brownies on the Peninsula once and moose six other times. I have used all of the footwear mentioned, but will never hunt there again without five layer, roll down, stocking foot, gore-tex waders. I fit regular drainable hiking boots over them and wear a gaiter to save the bottom from tears.

Simms make s great pair, but so does cabela's. I've used both in the toughest stuff out there and never gotten wet. They are easy to turn inside out at night and dry a lot quicker than any boot.

Don Mulligan
    www.outdoorswithdon

Thanks for the replys guys. Thats what i was thinking. I really just don't like spending all day none the less 12 days in those hip boots. That and they sure do add a lot of weight to the old pack. Oh by the way is it May yet? I'm pretty sure that April is by far the longest month of the year.

Default three pairs

on my fall I hunt down there on the penn. I took three pairs, regular waterproof 10" boot, Hodgman waders ankle fit plus have laces, and extra tuff regular uninsulated boots. Wore all three. Extra tuffs in camp and around. Waders when walking or hunting the shore, and regular boots when hiking. It really sucks hiking up hill in waders, we did it one day. It was the last day and was just in recovery mode to get partners bear hide. He shot at a wolf and we hiked up to check it out and that sucked. Really felt it the next day once we got home. Definately atleast take two pairs. I recommend a camp shoe too, basically what I used the extra tuff for. Easy to dawn to go take a leak and yet waterproof if ground is frosted or dewed. Have a great hunt, good luck.

Default another question

Instead of hip waders i'm thinking of wearing a pair of neoprene stocking style chest waders with hiking boots over them. Yes the boots them selves will be trashed but who cares as long as i stay dry. My only concurn is will the weather be cool enough in early may to not sweat to death in the chest waders. I will also take my rubber knee highs and a pair of camp shoes. What do you guys think?

The guy that owns the company I work for, has a fish camp out in the area. He uses Branch River Air to move people in and out of camp almost exclusively. I have been out with them as well to the same camp and found them to be very competent, professional and friendly.

Unless I'm hunting up high, I always wear my Orvis chest waders with some old Danner's for boots. Then I pull a pair of large wool pants over the waders, both to protect the pricey waders and to help me stay nice and quiet moving through brush. It's great, I never worry about stream crossings, beaver ponds, and if god forbid that moose makes for the pond, which I have certainly had happen, at least your already in your underwater skinning gear.
    I would discourage anyone from wearing the neoprene waders because they get awful hot in a hurry, I can't even walk across flat ground on a cold day without breaking a sweat.

Thumbs up Thanks for all of the tips guys.

I ordered a pair of mad dog breathable stocking foot waders in max-4. Now i just need to find a good pair of wool pants and i'm set. Again guys thanks and I can't wait to report back when the hunt is over. Hopefully with a good pic of my bear!