Thread: 550F with a 144" track?

Default 550F with a 144" track?

Anyone know if anyone makes one of these, all i can find are 550F's with 136" tracks...curious about a longer track and if that engine could even push it....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

My 08 Tundra LT has a 154" and it scoots along just fine with the 550F.

There's quite a few Tundra 300 owners that have extended theirs out to 144".

Default 144In.

I don,t Know what you had in Mind? But Ski Doo Skandic, Models had Big tracks with all sizes of engines, 440, 500 ,550F, They pull 20wX156 Long, And The SWT Has 24WX156, However they also have high/low tranys, Whata, Looking for? Engine would be up to the task, It,s the gearing that makes the difference, 550f good motor,hard on gas.

gonna be doing some wolf/ice fishing/ spring bear hunting with them and just wasn't sure if 136 would be enough track in the timber snow, i know the tundra lt has them and a few skandics, but trying to keep weight down and keep from going to a two up machine. the summit 550F is where i've been keeping my eye lately. Can you tell me if you can take the two up seat off the tundra lt?
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    gonna be doing some wolf/ice fishing/ spring bear hunting with them and just wasn't sure if 136 would be enough track in the timber snow, i know the tundra lt has them and a few skandics, but trying to keep weight down and keep from going to a two up machine. the summit 550F is where i've been keeping my eye lately. Can you tell me if you can take the two up seat off the tundra lt?
    If you mean remove the 2 up seat portion off the Tundra LT like the Expeditions of a couple of years back, the answer is no.

You can put the 1 up seat off the Tundra 300 or the Backcountry on the Tundra LT.

Or, you can modify the 2 up seat into a 1 up seat that makes the seat shorter than the factory 1 up seat. I don't know how to adequately explain it and would have to show you on my Tundra where the guy who modified his like I'm talking about cut his seat off and how he fab'd up the seat. It had a very clean, factory look to it the way it was done.

You could certainly long track one if you had time, but like Susitna mentioned plan on 9-10 miles a gallon with the 550f. Unless you are going to be traveling hard ice, or dirt you may want to ride a long track liquid with scratchers. Fans have a tough go of it in soft spring snow with warm temps.

i guess that brings up another questions, whats the purpose of liquid and fan...and whats the disadvanages of one over the other or vice versa..? and i'll be on some tundra/dirt, probably more than i plan on ....
    Master guide 212

Fans are better in low snow conditions. Liquids require snow that is thrown up to keep their heat exchangers cool. Liquids tend to make more power for the same size engine, but they also cost more.

Skidoo managed to make a super-wide track 550F and if it can turn that sucker it certainly could turn a 144 with proper gearing. I'm pretty sure Cat made a 570 Mountain Cat with a 144 option.

I did a whole bunch of riding on 440 Super Jags and 440 Bearcats with 156" non-paddle tracks. With good riding skills they will go really well. A 550 will only do better.

Liquid cooled machines are aslo heavier. Generally the fan is light, good on gas, and can run without much snow. When you give up the mileage with the 550f it starts to make more sense to go to a liquid cooled machine, or another fan.
    You will have no problem in the morning getting around as long as it froze the night before. You need some ice or snow to keep your hyfax cool, or they will melt. Ice scratchers make it possible to run on hard pack or ice. They will cool most liquids also. When it warms up and the snow gets soft, and sugary the fan cooled machine gets hot and looses power requiring you to stop to let it cool, or stay on relatively level ground. If the temps stay cool the fan is no problem.

this isn't real relavant but gives me an idea but what kinda top speed are guys getting outa the tundra LT with the 154" track...i'm stuck on changing the seat and getting my 550F but with a one up seat and the longer track, curious on the power end of things and speed.
    thanks for this info guys, big help!
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    this isn't real relavant but gives me an idea but what kinda top speed are guys getting outa the tundra LT with the 154" track...i'm stuck on changing the seat and getting my 550F but with a one up seat and the longer track, curious on the power end of things and speed.
    thanks for this info guys, big help!
    I haven't really paid much attention to where the top is and I'm not even sure if I've been there yet on my LT.

I'll let you know after Arctic Man and will try to pay attention to how fast I can get it up to.

The power is there.

The new LT ain't your grandpappy's Tundra, that's for sure.

Looks like my LT tops out at about 80 according to the speedo.

i found some threads on the 550 LT over on dootalk.com and they have some guys that changed over the seat to a freestyle seat an they are posting mid 70 mph and good creeping in the timber, i think i'm leaning to far towards this sled to upright now!!
    Master guide 212