Thread: Range Budget Cuts

Default Range Budget Cuts

At the range today I was informed that the AK Senate cut funding for the three State operated ranges from the annual budget. Apparently the State House approved the funding but the Senate cut it out. According to the folks at the range, if it remains un-funded the three state ranges will shut their doors July 1st.

As someone new to shooting, this is very concerning to me, as it should be to all us. (i.e. I need the practice.) Thought you all would be interested in this. I am writing my legislators and Ms Palin next.

Hiker
    "Happiness is a warm gun - bang bang, shoot shoot!"
    -Lennon/McCartney

I would think that rabbit creek would bring in enough to pay for itself but I could be wrong. I know alot of people here have issues with the people there but i dont seem to have any problems and I shoot there often. It would be a bummer to me if it was closed.

I thought I just heard something on the news the other night about this. I can't imagine the state spending all the money to build this place here in Fairbanks (and other places) and now will just let them die. What a waste. I wonder if they will put it up for bid for a private org to run them or something.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Quote Originally Posted by rlcofmn View Post
    I would think that rabbit creek would bring in enough to pay for itself but I could be wrong. I know alot of people here have issues with the people there but i dont seem to have any problems and I shoot there often. It would be a bummer to me if it was closed.
    The folks at the range indicated that they run about $60K in the red annually, that is where the state funding comes in to play. I don't know if that was at Rabbit Creek or statewide.

Hiker
    -Lennon/McCartney

Default This is bad... but it may also be an opportunity for improvement

How is it that private ranges operate at a profit, but state ranges are running tens of thousands in the "red"?

It will take some effort to start up, but those who are near to these state ranges would be smart to look at forming a non-profit corporation run by the range users to take over control of the ranges from the state while the state retains ownership of the property. By using a membership dues system, you should be able to pay all the operating costs and insurance as long as you don't have to buy the land and improvements.

The Snowshoe Gun Club in Kenai operates in this manner on Borough owned property and they've been consistently operating in the black with only a few hundred members who pay only $60 per year. They are actually in the midst of a deal with the borough to take title of the property as well.

I'm also pretty sure that the Birchwood range isn't losing money.

A privately operated Rabbit Creek should solve a bunch of other problems as well. (search Rabbit Creek if you missed those heated debates)

I don't know anything about the Fairbanks indoor range, other than it is a state facility.

Where is the 3rd range?
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

The third range is in Juneau.
    -Lennon/McCartney

Both Fairbanks and Juneau have indoor ranges. Very nice facility here in Fairbanks, haven't seen Juneau but I've heard it is the same. Part of the State money goes for salaries for the guys who run the range and keep it open odd hours. The range here charges about $12/hr to shoot and when it's forty below outside that is very nice. Local police depts shoot here and it is reserved for them on Monday and Tuesday nights, I believe. Also the UAF rifle team shoots here at times.

It is the Hunter Education range and classroom, is that program no longer funded either?

A problem with private ownership of this range comes from the federal grant that was used to build it. The cost of construction was some astronomical amount of 2-3 million dollars and all or part of that was a federal grant. If it reverts to private ownership, the new private owner would have to repay the federal grant. That wouldn't leave much room for profit or day to day expenses.

The state money to operate these ranges is not much money compared to other pet projects and it will always be considered to be a back door antigun policy by bureaucrats. I hope every one is drafting a letter. I'll try to finish mine tonite to send to to Juneau.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Juneau.

Yes, the two state built indoor ranges are in Fairbanks and Juneau. Since I'm sure that the number of shooters that need an indoor range is so much greater in those two cities than in Anchorage. (Says the ex-Bullseye shooter.)

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

OK, I emailed my State Senator, my State Representative, and Governor Palin. I used part of Murphy's verbiage.

"""I have been informed that the funding for the three State operated Shooting Ranges has been cut from the annual budget.

The state money to operate these ranges is not much money compared to other expenditures. Closing these Shooting Ranges, must be considered a back door antigun policy.

Iím requesting that you do all in your power to restore the funding, and keep these Shooting Ranges operating and available to the public. They are sorely needed.
    Thank You"""

(I got the email addresses by going to the AK State Legislature Website, finding them by the districts shown on my Voter Registration Card.)

http://w3.legis.state.ak.us/index.php

Email the Governor from this Site..... http://gov.state.ak.us/govmail.php

Of course, you can get the addresses for Regular Mail on those sites too, if you prefer to go that route.

It's easy, let's ALL do it.
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

FWIW It was also suggested to me by a senator in the minorty that we also contact Lyda Green directly. The Senate majority is directly responsible for cutting the funding in question. We all need to get on them.

Hiker
    -Lennon/McCartney

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by hiker View Post
    FWIW It was also suggested to me by a senator in the minorty that we also contact Lyda Green directly. The Senate majority is directly responsible for cutting the funding in question. We all need to get on them.

Hiker
    hiker:
    OK, I did that.
    Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Great, close the ranges and open up the state parks and other empty back roads to barrel filled with holes, very smart.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed