View Poll Results: What is your favorite style of shotgun?

Voters
109. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pump Action

54 49.54%
  • Semi Auto

24 22.02%
  • Over Under

19 17.43%
  • Side by Side

11 10.09%
  • Single Shot

4 3.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite style of shotgun?

Default What is your favorite style of shotgun?

Which style shotgun is your favorite for all around use?

Default Pump

Everybody should own atleast one. I did get a chance to hunt with a semiauto last summer and it was sweet but with the amount I use mine i'll stick with the tried and true 870.

Been using the Remington 870 to hunt waterfowl for the past 33 yrs. 870 is a good, reliable shotgun. Tried a Winchester 1400 semi-auto once before, compared to my 870 it was a little on the slow side cycling shotgun shells.

Rem 870's are sweet
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Default auto

Beretta 390 for me, quite a bit less recoil.

I use a Stoeger 2000 semi-auto now. Used to use a Mossberg 500. Never had problems with either. Now two of my buddies just bought brand new 870's last fall for duck season and they both occasionally jam once the shell has been fired. Usually if you brace the butt on your hip you can pull the action open with a good grip and both hands. Funny how you hear how great the almighty 870 is and all this bad stuff about the Stoeger, but when it comes down to it for me, in my experience, the Stoeger is a great gun, and 870's aren't so invinceable.

Default favorite shotgun

I have owned a browning gold 3" for about 6 years now and I LOVE IT!!!!!! Other than that you can never go wrong with the 870, reliable as heck!

Gotta go with the 870 for all around use. I actually have the 870 Supermag so versatility from 2 3/4"-3 1/2" shells are what really swayed me. Especially in the bullet proof 870 design. If you had mentioned upland game hunting only I would have gone with a short 20ga side/side, just something "right" about a side/side shotgun for bird hunting.

Over/Unders for sporting use.
    Pumps and semis for social work.
    Now what ?

Default Love My Single!

I love my single shot Parker-Hale. It is great on upland game birds.

Ron

Default 870 Trouble

So have any of you 870 fans ever seen the problem I was describing? Not wanting to eject the spent shell? I've seen these two do it side by side while we were all shooting and just wondering if that would be like hell freezing over... two 870's malfunctioning in the same place at the same time?

Default Uhhh

I have at least one of each, in different gauges. So, I don't qualify for the poll I guess. My favorite is probably my old 2 3/4" 870 I got from my uncle back in 1970. The one I got as my first gun from my dad was a Ithaca 66 20ga lever action-singl shot. My favorite Dove and Quail gun is my 12ga 1100 SKEET special. Got a Rossi 20 ga UPLANDER SxS I like for rabbits. My 12ga O-U I use for TRAP.
    Plus a few others which don't see a lot of use.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty_dog View Post
    So have any of you 870 fans ever seen the problem I was describing? Not wanting to eject the spent shell? I've seen these two do it side by side while we were all shooting and just wondering if that would be like hell freezing over... two 870's malfunctioning in the same place at the same time?
    Check the ammo. Chances are you looking at an overpressure problem. Was it old steel shot by chance? I've heard of (not seen for myself) a problem where steel shot that gets damp in the field, but isn't shot the same day can get rusting of the pellets. When fired, it is more like a slug and causes an overpressure. The expansion of the brass is what is hanging up in the chamber.

To verify that it's not part of the action that is the problem, if it hangs up on extraction, push up on the slide lock release on the forward portion of the trigger guard. If it now easily opens, then it is the gun. If it is still stuck, it's the ammo.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default 870

I have to agree that it's probably an ammo issue. I've seen a few shotguns that simply did not digest cheaper low-brass shotgun shells very well at all. I don't feel like that's a fault against the shotgun, just that it's slightly picky. Try switching to high-brass shells and see if that remedies the problem.
    NRA Life Member, Prior F-16 crew chief.

Pump action shotguns should not be picky. That is why they are pump action shotguns. No it wasn't old steel shot, it was brand new lighter target loads. I've seen this happen to one of the guns two separate occasions with two different brands of ammo: Federal field loads and Estate Target loads. The second time we went out the other 870 had the problem with Estate Target loads. Not saying the ammo isn't at fault, but I see a pattern here. All the other shotguns didn't have a problem, including my Stoeger and a Remington 1187. I don't think MTOutdoorsmans 870s had a problem... did they? I don't think they did.

I'm not really a BB Gun buff but I do use a .410 Snake Charmer w/Slugs when Butt fishing.

I saw this one time and it was an ammo problem. It was some foreign ammo and had a base not of brass but a tin looking material that in my opinion heated and swelled at the shot and would not eject . But if you waited one second for it to cool it would eject fine. That was the only time in my life I ever saw anything like that...Have fun..

Mine didn't have a problem, but then again, I was using different ammo also. My old man has a New Haven/Mossberg 500 that he doesn't shoot low brass shells of any kind in because it won't eject them reliably. Try shooting the same volume of another kind of ammo that is high brass through either shotgun and see what the results are. To me that would be a legitimate test of whether it was an ammo problem or not. I'm not absolutely certain of it, but I'm guessing that both types of ammo you mentioned are low brass.
    NRA Life Member, Prior F-16 crew chief.

Default Ithaca Model 37

Ithaca Model 37, the "best pump goin' ". 2 in 16ga & 1 in 12ga.

I'm fond of a Remington 870 pump my Dad gave me, however it's only a 2 & 3/4 inch chamber, I'll soon be looking to get a 3 inch plus.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast