Thread: All around bike

Default All around bike

I'm looking for a mountain bike to use for hunting/fishing as fuel is getting expensive. Are there such things as trailer hitches for bicycles? I would like to be able to pull a small trailer for my camping gear. I don't need anything fancy but reliability is a must. Not to make things more difficult but, i would prefer a brand that makes their bikes in the U.S. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you!

Have you seen the BOB trailers? That's what I use, and it's great. It claims to be rated for 70 pounds, which might be a little light for hunting use. I plan on trying it out, though, but thus far it's performed well for 50 pounds. No hitch needed.

For U.S. made bikes, take a look at Marin. They carry them at Sunshine Sports in Anchorage, so go have a peek in a week or two when they get all their bikes out.

I think that trailer would probably work. Thanks Brian

REI sells trailer hitches too. They're about $40 and connect to the rear axle. Hey, Brian, what other brands are made in the good 'ole US of A? I'm in the market too; still lookin'

Tim

I ridden a Cannondale for years they are pretty tough bikes. They are made in Pennsylvania

Trek is another all around good bike mfg Their bikes are built in Wisconsin

A buddy of mine borrowed my Cannondale for a deer hunt on kodiak a while ago now and managed to tie his deer onto the bikes frame and ride it back to camp (was hunting around some logging roads/ trails at the time???)

I seen a picture of the deer tied to the bike on up on the wall at his ex-father inlaw house wish i had a copy it was pretty outrageous looking.

Thanks Pirate
    I was wondereing about Cannondale's

Default child trailers

watch craigslist for bike trailers for children. The single child trailers are typically rated for 75 pounds and the trailers for two kids are usually rated for 100 pounds. They'll connect to nearly every type of bike and are usually cheap as kids grow out of them fast and ma and pa are looking to get rid of it. The bob's are nice, but pricey, and there are some advantages to having a two wheeled trailer over a single wheel.

The burley nomad is another great option.

I got a Cannondale Rush at the end of 06 and have not had a single problem.
    I am not a gentle rider but I do take good care of it by cleaning and oiling. Made in USA was important to me as well.

Default BOB

2nd the Bob trailer. I'm not sure if the kiddie trailers would hold up to backcountry/trail riding as well as the BOB would.

Trek is another all around good bike mfg Their bikes are built in Wisconsin
    Some Treks may be made in the USA, but the lower end models I looked at had made in china stickers on them

And unfortunately, on any of them the "made in USA" is probably frame only.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default A valid concern...

Quote Originally Posted by Fullcurl View Post
    2nd the Bob trailer. I'm not sure if the kiddie trailers would hold up to backcountry/trail riding as well as the BOB would.
    I've been beating the tar out of child carriers for the last few years. My boys are up to a combined weight of 110lbs and I carry both of them over curbs, logs, and some technical downhills. If the obstacle isn't going to hit the frame I'll ride the kiddie trailer right over it. With multiple trips on Johnson/Resurrection/and Lost Lake I feel pretty confident in them.

Don't get me wrong - I love the BOB and have done some extended touring with one, but there are advantages to a two wheeled trailer. The ride is certainly different. A BOB angles with the bike when turning, and when heavily loaded can pull a little once you initiate a turn. A two wheeled trailer doesn't angle, it articulates at the hitch. They also have significantly less tongue weight. The bulk of the weight is close to the trailer axle while the bulk of the weight in a BOB is centered between the bike axle and the trailer axle.

Long story short - if you're only going to do a few trips a year, don't sell a used Burley child trailer short, and you'll save yourself some $.