Thread: Fly rod and Newhalen questions

Default Fly rod and Newhalen questions

I plan on moving to Iliamna next year. Iím thinking of buying a Redington fly-rod but do not know whether to get an 8 or 9 weight. I plan of fishing mostly sockeyes and rainbows and maybe silvers or kings down river once in a while. Which weight would be light enough for rainbows but heavy enough not to break on an accidentally foul hooked sockeye (its bound to happen once in a while with millions of fish running through the river) in the Newhalen.
    The other question I had is, when I chuck ní duck, do I have to get shooting line or can I just attach 40 yards of amnesia/monofilament to my floating line? What lb test would you use for your main line and for your leader? In the Newhalen can you fish a dropper fly from your main one (like a nymph below and egg)?

I have a Reddington 3 wt which I use when trout are the targeted species. However, I have landed the occasional Silver and King that succumb to an egg presentation. I love this rod. I have friends who use 7-8 wt on the Russian River. I have seen people rig as you describe with mono, but the heavy sink line seems to engage more fish during the red run. My 2 cents.
    NRA Lifetime Member

Exclamation Do you really want to "chuck and duck"???

Use a 5-6 wt as a MINIMUM for bows in Illiamna. Look at an 8 wt for reds/silvers. It will be hard to have one "do it all" rod. I can guarantee you a 3 wt has no place where you are going. Except for swatting bugs perhaps. I think the guy was kidding, but can't tell. If nothing else, read up on the subject before buying any rod. There is a book that you really need. It is sold here on the forum store and is among the best I have read for fly fishing Alaska. It is "Topwater, Flyfishing Alaska...." by Troy Letheran. Every chapter is dedicated to a species of Alaska sportfish. All salmon, dollies/arctic char, grayling, pike, lake trout, sheefish, etc.. are all covered. In each chapter is all you could want to know. Including rods/reels/flies/lines. Tons of other info like the where/when/how/life cycle. Below is a link. This is a must read.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.